• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another brilliant idea from the DWP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why would they do it and how exactly can they sabotage something about to land on Mars?
    Ah, just checked and it was a Russian rocket, so maybe it wasn't the Yanks after all.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Ah, just checked and it was a Russian rocket, so maybe it wasn't the Yanks after all.
      It failed to land correctly after getting close to Mars, wtf launching got to do with it?

Beagle 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Remember the bull about using open source they were spouting.

Dr Mark Thompson...
        These new standards would enable large-scale IT projects to be split into small modular components, meaning that the UK government should never again need to sign an IT software contract worth over £100 million – so no more IT ‘white elephants’.
        Osborne...
        “We have led the debate on using open source software in government, and I’m delighted that Dr Mark Thompson has come forward with these detailed recommendations. These proposals aren’t just about saving money – they’re about modernising government, making the public sector more innovative and improving public services.”
        http://www.conservatives.com/News/Ne..._software.aspx

3 years later they are singing up to another couple of doom projects.

Comment

It failed to land correctly after getting close to Mars, wtf launching got to do with it?

Beagle 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          Some pesky Rusky could have snipped its antenna. IIRC, we don't know that it failed to land.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Some pesky Rusky could have snipped its antenna. IIRC, we don't know that it failed to land.
            Well, what we know is that it detached successfully from the mothership whilst being in orbit on Mars and then never was heard of

Comment

Well, what we know is that it detached successfully from the mothership whilst being in orbit on Mars and then never was heard of
              The reason I thought the Yanks is because they had a Mars mission on the go at the same time and I recalled Pillinger saying someone had let him down and I thought the Yanks were mentioned. It turns out the only Yank involvement is that Pillinger was going to phone them up, yes by using a phone, to ask them if they could please turn their receivers to the Beagle and see if it was calling home. All very sad. Pillinger blames ESA for something related to his mistake in not leaving the transmitter on permanently rather than after touchdown. Forget the details.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Practice makes perfect though - Even Werner von Braun's lot had quite a few mishaps

At least the Indians are trying. When was the last time the UK launched a satellite?
                Yes, but we are funding it one way or another lol it doesn't matter if it goes up in smoke when you don't have to pay for it...

Comment

All I heard was a passing flippent comment from a then senior manager who had said we wrote something to handle x and they interfaced in to something else in Y. Was quite serious at the time. I think a few of the directors thought they were about to have to call in their insurers to pay for a whole satellite programme

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch

Comment

Working...
                  X