• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oil/Petrol Prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And petrol engine will run just fine after 83k miles?
    Yes. If you look after the engine these days it's easy to get 150k out of a petrol engine. Saabs regularly make over 200k
    on their petrol engines.

We picked up a v8 petrol discovery 3 a few years ago it's now done 120k (had 80 on the clock when we got it) drives like new and if you get a 1000k bill occasionally then it's no problem because you aren't paying 600 a month on a car loan.

At the moment I'd go for a xf s with the supcharged engine. there's 1 year old cars on the market with 20k off the starting price...

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      The idea is a good one but you don't get the same quality of people as you do in say Sweden, finland or germany using the public transport
      This is the main reason public transport is not popular outside of London. It is class or social status.

They may try to indoctrinate us that we are all the same now days, but being thrown together on a cattle cart clearly shows we are not.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
        This is the main reason public transport is not popular outside of London. It is class or social status.

They may try to indoctrinate us that we are all the same now days, but being thrown together on a cattle cart clearly shows we are not.
        I thought it was because its crap, and expensive.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by amoeba View Post
          Nows definitely the time to buy a gas guzzler... Just picked up a 2005 83k mileage Jaguar S-Type R, 400bhp 4.2 supercharged for less than 6k - was a 50k car new (without any options).

Fingers crossed petrol prices dont go any crazier, otherwise I'll have to LPG it.
          I used to have an LPG car and found it very good for cheap long distance motorway driving. But LPG was 30p/litre in those days.
          "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            I thought it was because its crap, and expensive.
            Don't forget unreliable and run for the benefit of the shareholders.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              Yes. If you look after the engine these days it's easy to get 150k out of a petrol engine. Saabs regularly make over 200k
              on their petrol engines.

We picked up a v8 petrol discovery 3 a few years ago it's now done 120k (had 80 on the clock when we got it) drives like new and if you get a 1000k bill occasionally then it's no problem because you aren't paying 600 a month on a car loan.

At the moment I'd go for a xf s with the supcharged engine. there's 1 year old cars on the market with 20k off the starting price...
              If you refer to the engine being the cylinder block and head, then they are reliable for a good 200k however if you refer to the engine as a whole and include the injection system and sensors; then the engines are less reliable than pre year 2000 cars. There are many 01 to 05 cars sent to the scrap heap at less than 80k miles due to sensor failures and the cost of repairs. The so called greener engines are not really green when a car has to be dumped prematurely because some CO2 sensor malfunctions
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by amoeba View Post
                Fingers crossed petrol prices dont go any crazier, otherwise I'll have to LPG it.
                You're too late for LPG.

A few years back it was just under half the price of petrol and a good option. LPG systems get a lower mpg than petrol, how much lower depends on whether it is a carb, single point injection or multi point.

The reason why it is a less appealing option is that every year LPG is sold, as well as the standard duty raise each year, 1p more is added in duty to LPG making the gap between LPG and petrol less each year.

You may get your money back on the conversion in coming years depending on the vehicle, but it is a less profitable option than years past.

Comment

Working...
                X