• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 was much better under Labour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    Agreed, but remember you aren't just laughing at me, there were 30 odd accountancy clients affected and loads more who invested in the currency scheme. One guy lost the proceeds of his house sale, which you must find hilarious.
    Dry yer eyes mate!

Comment

We have a situation now that is worse than it was before.
      I don't consider it worse if the existing laws are enforced properly rather than in a vague unpredictable fashion. If you're not a disguised employee, who cares.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Agreed, but remember you aren't just laughing at me, there were 30 odd accountancy clients affected and loads more who invested in the currency scheme. One guy lost the proceeds of his house sale, which you must find hilarious.
        Cry me a fooking river. Tulip happens, get over it.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Cry me a fooking river. Tulip happens, get over it.
          Baggy is very unlucky with CUK, first the stalker, then accountant, hope this year will be good for him...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            Yes but really can you say that someone whose sole product is their own knowledge and all of their income comes from long term contracts really anything other than a disguised employee.

If you were that good that you could earn £50-60k for a 1 day appeareance then you have a point but when you are only working for up to say £800 per day 5 days a week and really this is just another way of being employeed - it is not really running a company for any other reason than to dodge tax.
            So what IS the line you draw for a 1 man company to be considered a real company?

You mention someone earning £50-60K a day, versus "up to say £800 a day".

How do new consultancy companies start, can they only be started by more than 1 person?

Is it only after a couple of years of only being a 1 man company that the goverment then deem you as never going to become a "real" consultancy with more than 1 employee?

Define "long term" as well. Are you ok if all your contracts are less than a year? What if one slips over that long term line?

What if you have 2 long term contracts concurrently, the first 2 days a week, the 2nd 3 days a week?

What if you have a normal 5 days a week contract, and do PC repair nights and the weekend like Suity? (no dig at Suity at all here by the way, a very good example to use here).

Comment

This is what worries me most:

"office holders/controlling persons who are integral to the running of an organisation to have Pay-As-You-Earn (PAYE) and NICs deducted at source by the organisation by which they are engaged"

The definition of 'controlling' person could be quite wide. It could include roles like project manager, team lead, systems support. Any talk of forcing compliance on end clients is very damaging because many companies are so risk averse they would insist on PAYE for all contractors.
              Cats are evil.

Comment

I only ever had a limited company in the early days because that was the only way that the agencies would deal with me.

No pretensions whatsoever of being a "proper" business, no delusions of grandeur, it was just a way of getting paid.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                  Yep, both events that he brought upon himself and then whinged when it all went titsup.
                  How exactly?
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I applaud your honesty, if that's the case. All this poncing about pretending to run companies makes us look as seedy as the public sector directors running PSCs.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

How exactly?
                      Didn't you see the link I posted yesterday, before RH deleted it?

Shame.

Comment

Working...
                      X