• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sticking out a boring contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    When you travelled to CW did you buy a weekly 1-3 Travel card or a return DLR ticket? If you bought a travelcard then the journey cost between westminster and CW has not substantially changed has it? And you would still be in the same geographical area (London)...
    Neither, because I don't live anywhere near London. It was just an example. So if you lived in Holborn and took the Piccadilly line north to Cockfosters for 2 years and then changed to a role that required a journey south/west to Heathrow on the Piccadilly line, is that the "same" location because it's still "London"? I doubt it, that's no different to the M1 example because they're miles apart and the journey is in the opposite direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Whippy View Post
      Neither, because I don't live anywhere near London. It was just an example. So if you lived in Holborn and took the Piccadilly line north to Cockfosters for 2 years and then changed to a role that required a journey south/west to Heathrow on the Piccadilly line, is that the "same" location because it's still "London"? I doubt it, that's no different to the M1 example because they're miles apart and the journey is in the opposite direction.
      As sick as it sounds reading the guidance given to the guys that will fine you for this. It's the same place, because the end result will still be a zone 1 - 6 travel card.
      BBC - London - Travel - London Underground Map

But traveling in a car in two opposite directions on a motorway is for some perverse reason considered as different places. Go figure

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        But traveling in a car in two opposite directions on a motorway is for some perverse reason considered as different places. Go figure
        Yep, typical HMRC.

I live outside London and have worked in London for a number of years, so I haven't claimed travel expenses since 24 months because it's usually only the end point that changes and in the context of the whole journey it's a minor difference. If I lived in within a TFL zone I'd probably have claimed them all regardless of the cost or type of ticket and argued the toss with HMRC if it ever came to it.

Comment

I know that, did you actually read my post?

The journey has to be significantly different to be claimable.

Stratford to CW and then changing Stratford to Westminster would different imo when you take the whole journey into account.

Whereas Birmingham to CW and then changing Birmingham to Westminster would not be "significantly" different when you take the whole journey into account.
          Yes and unless you have a strange way of meaning something different to what was written, I replied to your post "Wouldn't that depend on where he lives?

Answer, no it wouldnt.

"For example if you live in Stratford and work in Canary Wharf and then move onto another role in the square mile then wouldn't that be a significantly different journey ?"

Note your question mark and again the answer is no, it is not a significant different journey because where you journey from and to isnt the main essence of the 24 month rule. If your work is based in the same geographical area for 24 months, you dont get mileage to help you travel there.

"But if you lived in Birmingham, overall the journey wouldn't be that much different and less likely to "reset the clock".

So if you lived in Stratford, work in Canary then move to another role in the square mile that wouldnt be a significant different journey

Again, the journey doesnt really matter, it's the work location that does.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            Again, the journey doesnt really matter, it's the work location that does.
            Yes, the journey does matter. Look at HMRC's own example of someone working on two sides of a river building a single bridge being two different locations because of the difference in the journey, yet some people seem to think being 5-10 miles away in different location in London is the same location because the journey is mostly the same time, distance & cost.

The "Wouldn't it depend where he lives" question was in answer to a statement that he would already be unable to claim travel without any understanding of the OP's location or journey which may or may not be perceived to be significantly different enough in the eyes of HMRC to be claimable. I know the start point is totally irrelevant.

Comment

Yes, the journey does matter. Look at HMRC's own example of someone working on two sides of a river building a single bridge being two different locations because of the difference in the journey, yet some people seem to think being 5-10 miles away in different location in London is the same location because the journey is mostly the same time, distance & cost.

The "Wouldn't it depend where he lives" question was in answer to a statement that he would already be unable to claim travel without any understanding of the OP's location or journey which may or may not be perceived to be significantly different enough in the eyes of HMRC to be claimable. I know the start point is totally irrelevant.
              The point of the 24 month rule is the location where the work is done. Oh, and I wouldnt put too much reliance on HMRC's own advice. A few people have found to their cost what HMRC put out as advice, they can ignore when they want to.

But carry on.

Comment

The point of the 24 month rule is the location where the work is done.
                Don't you think I know this? Which part of "I know the start point is totally irrelevant" are you struggling to get to grips with? The relevant parts are the destination and the journey made to get there.

Oh, and I wouldnt put too much reliance on HMRC's own advice. A few people have found to their cost what HMRC put out as advice, they can ignore when they want to.
                Which is exactly the point I've been trying to make. I'd argue that when you take the entire journey into account Stratford to CW is a significantly different enough journey and end point to be a different location compared with a journey from Stratford to Bank, regardless of how much it costs or whether or not it's a travelcard. But I wouldn't say that someone working on the same bridge building project on different sides of a river is significantly different enough.

Comment

Don't you think I know this? Which part of "I know the start point is totally irrelevant" are you struggling to get to grips with? The relevant parts are the destination and the journey made to get there.

Which is exactly the point I've been trying to make. I'd argue that when you take the entire journey into account Stratford to CW is a significantly different enough journey and end point to be a different location compared with a journey from Stratford to Bank, regardless of how much it costs or whether or not it's a travelcard. But I wouldn't say that someone working on the same bridge building project on different sides of a river is significantly different enough.
                  You must be a Bob.

Comment

You must be a Bob.
                    and I "must be a Bob" because?

Comment

Originally posted by Kanye View Post
                      I've been in an IBank contract for around 2 years, and it looks as though it could run for at least the next two.

Rate is good, 30 minute commute, not too stressful....

BUT I'm absolutely bored out of my mind, not really learning, a bit bored of the beuracracy and skills are starting to stagnate.

I have a big old 'war chest' accrued in the company now so finances no concern for a few years.

What do you guys do in this situation? Sit out a long term contract and make hay why the sun shines, or start to look for something new and interesting?

I know its a personal decision but I'm looking for a new angle and benefit of the experience of more experienced guys here.
                      Same boat here but 6 months into 8 with possibly more.

I'm planning to do some certs to freshen up my skill set either way - if I'm doing it whilst on the bench then so be it, if I do it in another extension then so be it.

Hope you get it sorted either way.

Comment

Working...
                      X