• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I could always take or leave London.

Give me Somerset or Wiltshire anyway. Especially Bath. Lovely.
    I'm in Wiltshire at the moment, but London is looking likely and I could have the opportunity if I nail it to go to Zurich for 12 months
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Next time I’m down in the smoke, I’ll give the Harp a try. Street name anyone?
      one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
        Its ok but expensive so make sure you rate reflects that. Alot of people go on about London or banking rates being high but then so is the cost of working and living around here its all relative.
        Having never worked in London myself, I've always thought I'd need a premium on the rate given 2 comparable roles, one in London, one easy commutable where I live.

Obviously there are a lot of dependancies (gaining tech/sector exp) but can any of you suggest what you expect when the 2 roles are pretty much the same and the only difference is one is in London.

Double local rate? more, less?

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I walked past a pub in/near Covent Garden with loads of flowers outside, hanging baskets and the like. It looked familiar - maybe from a CAMRA review? - but I can't remember the name. Anyone have a clue what it's called?

I think it was green. HTH.
          The Harp. I've long said it was the best pub in London, and last year CAMRA declared it the best pub in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            The Harp. I've long said it was the best pub in London, and last year CAMRA declared it the best pub in the UK
            Many thanks for the link.
            one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
              The one near Charing Cross station? I was in there for the first time ever last week. Froze my bollocks off standing outside the back as it's pretty narrow. Beer was really good though.
              When you're out the back, the opposite wall is the side of the Coliseum, home of the English National Opera. It's not unusual, when the interval arrives, for one of the fire exits to spring open: half the woodwind section of the orchestra rush across the alley into the pub, quickly sink a pint (sometimes two), then rush back across the alley for the second half

Comment

If you can, stay in places in the "Greater London" area and commute in. I know it would cost a little to travel, but it will be worth it.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
                  If you can, stay in places in the "Greater London" area and commute in. I know it would cost a little to travel, but it will be worth it.
                  Indeed. I usually stay out at Edgware: handy for the motorway and, being at one of the northern termini of the Northern line, you always get a seat in the morning

Comment

Just got a call to say the company in question has withdrawn the vacancies and hired a consultancy, dear me what can you do.
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                      Just got a call to say the company in question has withdrawn the vacancies and hired a consultancy, dear me what can you do.
                      Oh bummer, sorry to here that.

Keep trying.
                      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                      X