• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Seems easy to get C++ jobs (Finance)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems easy to get C++ jobs (Finance)

Around 5 years ago I gave up on moving from C to C++ jobs and decided to go for .NET.

Recently I have started getting calls for C++ jobs, even on UNIX, which I havent done since the last century. Also the rates mentioned seems higher than for .NET.

Should I become a C++ developer? Will it be like a new COBOL, keeping me funded intil i retire? Is the work interesting?

Another thing is that these jobs seems to be in banking/finance, so I am thinking a bit that in could be a ticket into that area of work?

Oscar

You are Milan and I claim my £5

Comment

COBOL and AS400 is apparently the way to go...unless of course you can get into that one and only true gravy train that is SAP.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
        COBOL and AS400 is apparently the way to go...unless of course you can get into that one and only true gravy train that is SAP.
        SAP is dead - move into something in demand like .NOT

Milan was correct all along.

I start my new SAP contract in a couple of weeks after a short holiday. With the rates they are paying I can hardly afford to put food on the table

Comment

I suspect the key word here is "finance". I think you should stay out of C++, because then maybe the rest of us have a better chance of getting into the highly paid C++ finance jobs without the seemingly mandatory finance experience.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Oscar
            Around 5 years ago I gave up on moving from C to C++ jobs and decided to go for .NET.

Recently I have started getting calls for C++ jobs, even on UNIX, which I havent done since the last century. Also the rates mentioned seems higher than for .NET.

Should I become a C++ developer? Will it be like a new COBOL, keeping me funded intil i retire? Is the work interesting?

Another thing is that these jobs seems to be in banking/finance, so I am thinking a bit that in could be a ticket into that area of work?

Oscar
            Fortunately everyone has jumped on the .NET wagon and hence they can no longer program properly having got used to having their backsides wiped for them by Bill Gates et al. So people who know C++ can make a mint.

Oh okay, I made that up. One can but dream.

Seriously though, I suspect that people are often using C# and Java in preference to C++. So the skills base is smaller, and yet there is still a need for people with C++ skills, in particular at the lower levels, in Real Time etc.

Comment

Well, c++ is harder that .NET so it's only fair you should be able to charge more for it. I got into the game slightly too late for C++ to be a must-have, and though I dabble in it when necessary, I do my best to stay away from it and I'd expect there are lots of people like me!

Comment

Working...
              X