• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Volvo 940 losing Water

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As soon as cars get to the point where they have faults like this or fail an MOT it's time to sell it privately or part ex for something newer.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
      As soon as cars get to the point where they have faults like this or fail an MOT it's time to sell it privately or part ex for something newer.
      I have agonised over this - I bought my Shogun new 9 years ago - it's now done 140k miles (not much for a diesel) and failed its 1st MOT last month- the idler arm was worn - I actually new it was but thought it was still in limits - replacement cost £50 + hour of my time to fit and the rip off £40 retest bollox... like I said it's just cost me £55 for a new water pump but other than that it's used daily ... shoud I get rid of a car that has cost me £100 this year so far? if a major component fails like engine / autobox then I agree it's time to scrap or sell on

Comment

My wife lets me have a new RR every 3 years.

Comment

Coming Out

Well I drive a 940 Estate (2l Wentworth).
          Again it uses about half a litre of oil a month, no water though.
          Stick with it, it can't be a major problem, just a crack in a hose somewhere.
          Again try Radweld.

Now my bastard last night developed a problem where the fan runs ....and runs.... and runs... and won't bloody stop. Disconnected it in the end.

RS

Comment

Forgot to mention:-
            The trick with radweld is not to add it to the header tank.
            From cold, drain the system. Add Radweld. Top up with water. Run the engine until the fan kicks in and out twice. Should be ok by then,
            otherwise all the radwed tulipe coagulates in your header tank...messy.
            RS

Comment

You nasty rotten bastards have driven him away and I was just about to give a sensible suggestion. Just in case he comes back.

Yonks ago I vaguely recall a similar problem due to a gasket leak. It was pressurising the coolant system and blowing it out of the overflow pipe. Could also be overheating with same result. Water can also get into the oil via a gasket leak (is it all white and sludgy?)
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                Sounds like time for me to buy it then.

Look for water stains.

Examples with my cars have been weeping water pumps (as said above) and connections (pipe to pipe, pipe to block etc) that don't make a good seal. Rarely does the water escape all the time hence a need to check whenever you can.

One of my 120000 mile mondeos has a leaky pipe to cylinder block connector that can only be fixed with a radweld type product. Not leaked in months now.

I prefer petrol leaks. Far more exciting.

Anyone got a 100000 miles plus mondeo they want to sell?

Comment

A Threaded AMG Mercedes Elegance...they never made such a car.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt

They did for me...
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt

And here's the photo...
                      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                      X