• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a new telly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fleetwood
    its
    its what?

Comment

Originally posted by Gold Dalek
      its what?
      What is?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        Telly is playing up.

Replacement.

50" Plasma or 46" LCD?

They are similar prices.

I don't want anything fancy just good picture.
        Plasma's suffer from burn-in, LCDs don't. If you spend all day watching Sky with the Sky logo in the corner, the logo will eventually burn itself into the screen and you won't be able to get rid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dalek Supreme
          What is?
          The it what he said it is

Comment

Is it?

Comment

It's what I think it should be, but if it wasn't the right its then it's surely upto him to say which it is

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                its
                its what?
                What is?
                Is it?

How to confuse a Dalek
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Is there a Dalek language, you know, that sounds like gobbledegook to humans?

Comment

Friend o'mine who is a reseller for flat screens says:

Plasmas: getting overtaken now for picture quality by LCDs. Plasmas need regassing in approx 2-4 yrs' time, dependent on viewing time. When most owners get the quote, they'll probably just bin the TV & start again with an LCD.

LCDs: manufacturers have got quality issues fixed up to 32" diagonal. Not sure on screen sizes above this, where dead pixels and convergence can still be a problem.

CRTs: still a lovely, sharp picture, but just bulky now, and don't fit today's lifestyle. Apparently there was some OEM talk about developing a much flatter depth tube to reduce the footprint of the TV, but LCD technology and falling production costs quickly made this idea redundant.

Don't know if this helps. I just have a CRT, no digital box, Sky or anything. No time you see, too busy putting in the long work hours...
                    "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Bought a 17" Philips LCD a year or so ago - it's very good but a bit small. Currently working out how to persuade the Mrs that HD is a good idea - she's not convinced.
                      Spoke to a guy at Sky that I know and he reckoned the Sharp Aqueos (sp?) LCD TV's were some of the best they'd tested with the HD setup there but I've been quite impressed with my Philips TV and would certainly think about getting a Philips HD LCD TV, probably around the 30" mark, that is if the Mrs OK's it.

Which is unlikely unless I bribe her in some way.

Comment

Working...
                      X