• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Raspberry Pi

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Gosh.

Apparently Farnell are sending them out via 2nd class mail.
    Parcelforce Express24, shipping cost £4.95. Not bad.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Mine just arrived, 5 minutes after I got the email from RS saying it was on its way
      Keep us posted on build progress.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      Is it the Pi that will fit nicely in a fag packet? If so, could you also use something like an empty Altoids tin?
      Nope. Too big for an altoids tin.

Comment

My Raspberry Pi arrived today. Actually, 2 Raspberry Pis arrived today - but I only ordered one. Each package contained exactly the same consignment note, invoice number, etc, so someone at RS must have messed up I guess.

I will watch the England game this evening, while the kids build me a couple of Lego cases and then get them fired-up. No idea what to do with them yet - might build an XBMC based (openelec) media server with one and use the other for playing around with.

Comment

Will take a while to get all the bits together soldered up and tested for the guitar synth so had a play with it meantime.

After resizing the partitions on the 8Gb SD card cos the Debian image is built for a 2Gb card (on the fly), I got MySQL, Apache & PHP setup and had a Wordpress site live on t'internet in less than an hour. Not a bad wee machine for hosting.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

For thos of you who don't know how, here's how to enable the root user on the current Debian release.

sudo passwd root

You can then "su" to your hearts content.

Although they say that "sudo" should preclude the need for a "root" user, there will be a time when you need proper admin privileges.

Have fun.

Comment

Raspberry Pi as an emulator:

My Raspberry Pi Thinks It's a Mainframe!

A Raspberry Pi (VAX) Cluster
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                My Raspberry Pi is currently plugged into the BT router for power and network.

I'm running headless, VNC and ssh, no need for a monitor

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  I'm running headless
                  You don't say ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    You don't say ...
                    **** off back to your windoze box.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                      For thos of you who don't know how, here's how to enable the root user on the current Debian release.

sudo passwd root

You can then "su" to your hearts content.

Although they say that "sudo" should preclude the need for a "root" user, there will be a time when you need proper admin privileges.

Have fun.
                      When I need a admin shell on Debian I just do a sudo bash or a sudo su -
                      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                      X