• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The hexadecimal counting thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    A clue, I work in EBCDIC...
    NickFitz! Help!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I've never implemented it but I toyed with the idea of using a Base-ASCII numbering system where we use alphanumeric digits [0-9][a-z][A-Z]. I think that's base-62. I forget what the purpose of it was though.
      That's basically the technique used for things like YouTube videos, URL shorteners, and other web applications that require humongous numbers of unique content identifiers without being able to split stuff across a hierarchy (or other way of partitioning the space of identifiers).

Edit: &1A

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        NickFitz! Help!!!
        EBCDIC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

&1B

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          ESC.

0x1c
          We should send all posts from ESC onwards to an Epson FX-80 and see what it ends up doing.

&1D

Comment

Working...
          X