• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buy To Let.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah BTL, the first investment choice of the truly one dimensional thinker. Are posters on this site mostly retired 55 year old school secretaries? Or are you contractors with your own brains and ideas? There are hundreds of other investment options offering higher more reliable returns that don't involve putting all of your eggs into one basket. They just require a little thought and effort up front.

Have you thought about investing in yourself?
    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
      Ah BTL, the first investment choice of the truly one dimensional thinker. Are posters on this site mostly retired 55 year old school secretaries? Or are you contractors with your own brains and ideas? There are hundreds of other investment options offering higher more reliable returns that don't involve putting all of your eggs into one basket. They just require a little thought and effort up front.

Like a whore who gets a boob jobs so that she can keep getting clients?

The whole point of not investing in yourself is that you don't have to keep on working to bring in the green.

Comment

I am investing in myself - by retiring in 5 years, mortgage free and with a comfortable-ish income.
        Tell you what, you carry on being a wage slave, as it pleases you so much.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I am investing in myself - by retiring in 5 years, mortgage free and with a comfortable-ish income.
          Tell you what, you carry on being a wage slave, as it pleases you so much.
          Sounds like my plan. Does that include wife and kids? (kids that are no way close to leaving home yet!)

Comment

The key to succesful investing is having a balanced portfolio, maximising good times of positive growth and minismising the impact of negative growth...this then lessens the view that BTL should is a one dimensional thought. That's what I am doing anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              The key to succesful investing is having a balanced portfolio, maximising good times of positive growth and minismising the impact of negative growth...this then lessens the view that BTL should is a one dimensional thought. That's what I am doing anyway...
              Second that.

Buy To Let, unless you are in the region of £3-4M, you are putting way too many eggs into one basket. The good side about it, with a mortgage you can leverage lots...

Haven't you consider buying BLND.L? Same yield but liquid and less volatile.

A parking lot?

BTL a 1/4 of a flat with other four colleagues? BTL 1/4 of 4 properties to spread risk?

My 3 cents (inflation)
              Ed

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Which might cost a couple of grand. If he is in for the long term he will have many years of people paying his mortgage for him so just a blip. Not many ways of making money come with zero risk. Getting baliff in for free house at end is not a bad risk/reward IMO.

Aviva is one company and you are lucky to be in it.
                Aviva pays 6.8% NOW, no luck involved....
                Chap I was at Uni with bought a place then got a job other side of the country so rented it out to a nice young lady. Rent stopped so he phoned her up, pleasant chap answered and said we aint paying and if you come round I will shoot you, lovely...

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                  Aviva pays 6.8% NOW, no luck involved....
                  Chap I was at Uni with bought a place then got a job other side of the country so rented it out to a nice young lady. Rent stopped so he phoned her up, pleasant chap answered and said we aint paying and if you come round I will shoot you, lovely...
                  Aviva's profits are under pressure due to increased competition online and reduced margins due to this. The dividend will quite likely suffer over the next few years.

There was a moment when you could have bought into the banks and had a 10% dividend, soon before they all went t1ts up.

The point is, a dividend is not guaranteed and can be cut in a very short space of time. The value of the underlying share will therefore fall too. Sure, nothing in life is guaranteed but we all invest in what we feel most comfortable with. I have some shares but they will never form the bulk of my residual income, the market is just too fickle these days.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    Sounds like my plan. Does that include wife and kids? (kids that are no way close to leaving home yet!)
                    Well I certainly can't support the whole family in the style to which they are accustomed - we could just about exist I suppose on investment income. But if missus and I both worked part time (say 3 days a week each) we would be more than comfortable.
                    The ideal would be some sort of low maintenance internet business.
                    The idea is take the foot off the pedal and spend more time on interesting things and travelling.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      Well I certainly can't support the whole family in the style to which they are accustomed - we could just about exist I suppose on investment income. But if missus and I both worked part time (say 3 days a week each) we would be more than comfortable.
                      The ideal would be some sort of low maintenance internet business.
                      The idea is take the foot off the pedal and spend more time on interesting things and travelling.
                      How's your knitting software/ M.Sc Maths/ Learning Python/ Portugal real estate/ BTL empire/ Senior management job going?

Have I missed anything?

Comment

Working...
                      X