• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you miss Wilmslow?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    I was reading an article the other day detailing how hard it is to volunteer for these kinds of organisations these days because of all the red tape, CRB checks etc. & it's actually just putting people off from bothering at all.
    That is what's putting me off.

I would be fine with CRB's and dont anticipate too much of an issue there as Ive past security clearance before. However, some groups need you to timeline right back to your early childhood and need references from a very young age and throughout your childhood.

I moved around a bit and while I would have no problem, finding someone who has known me for ten years for instance, to vouch for me, I dont keep in touch with anyone from my younger years. I wasnt extremely popular like a jock or a grade A student and went through my own problems (which might raise eyebrows), so I dont know who I could ask to back me up on the invasive process. I am worried about having my whole life raked through as well, just perhaps to be rejected.

Another avenue, once I get my saturdays back, is to do sport clubs or something. Not quite the same, but the OH used to work at one before they laid everyone off and took on volunteers. That was a simple CRB and vetting which sounds fine.

I can appreciate why they have to do the checks, however many offenders still at large against children go without being noticed, so I dont think it is a foolproof way of checking.

Comment

Yes I miss Wilmsey. Having met him a couple of times, I confirm he is a bit of a spaz. But less of a spaz than I was when I was his age

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
        Well thats enough about the thread....lets get back to talking about ME.
        Fixed that for you
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Fixed that for you
          Could you be any more of a jerk?

Oh yes, you could, by giving someone a negative rep for saying something heartfelt.

I wasnt talking about ME, in fact, I usually dislike talking about the charities Im involved with. However someone mentioned Andyw and volunteer work he did, so I was having a discussion with someone who seems to know about the process.

In the civilised world, we all have conversations EO and sharing perspectives and asking others for details or their insights is how we actually grow as people.

Maybe it is about time you did a little growing up.

Comment

I do tuliploads for charidee myself... but I don't like to talk about it.

Comment

Could you be any more of a jerk?

Oh yes, you could, by giving someone a negative rep for saying something heartfelt.

I wasnt talking about ME, in fact, I usually dislike talking about the charities Im involved with. However someone mentioned Andyw and volunteer work he did, so I was having a discussion with someone who seems to know about the process.

In the civilised world, we all have conversations EO and sharing perspectives and asking others for details or their insights is how we actually grow as people.

Maybe it is about time you did a little growing up.
              good point. better get a petrol receipt quick, just to prove it. the bastards are always out there

and in this country, you are guilty without a petrol receipt.

the ducks fly horizontally towards the sunset.
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

I keep missing him, because I keep forgetting to compensate for wind velocity. But come a still day...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I keep missing him, because I keep forgetting to compensate for wind velocity. But come a still day...

Well you have got Wim1234 for that.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                    Fixed that for you
                    Seems a bit harsh.

Comment

FAO Wim

Im not sure if she has endorsed them.

Ive looked at other groups like Big Brothers. Ultimately, I didnt get in to too many problems as a kid, but things were far from easy and I was close to having some bad problems. It would be nice to guide a youngster in to not making the mistakes I did, or even just listen to them which at a confusing age is what many need, an objective listener who can empathise.
                      Saw this in today's Torygraph and thought of you...

Comment

Working...
                      X