• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help Please.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several years ago a relation of mine ended up in court over a similar type issue (not supply and purchase).

What saved my relation in court was that she kept the paper trail , converstion / phone logs of her RESONABLE attempts to resolve the issue.

The judge (or whatever he was) decided that the other party was just not interested in settling, but just hoping for a big payout in court, so my relation got awarderd costs and the debt was cleared.
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
      Unfortunately if this goes to Court; it is a lottery of whom you get for a Judge. I have known several cases where really dodgy supplies that have lied, cheated, and supplied crap goods to retailers and the innocent party has lost the case. Dissolving a limited company is easy but it is better to start-up or purchase other companies before hand. Some people I know are having twenty to thirty companies running at the same time with turnovers of around £10k per year for each company. Spread your risks. Have one limited company for buying the goods. Have another limited company to own the lease. Have an offshore company to do you consulting. Spend all of your profit on consulting. Have you AGMs in the Caribbean.
      You need to be exceptionally careful when dissolving a company due to debt as you can open charges of fraudulent trading, wrongful trading, or preference which go via the criminal route after insolvency. For this to happen the creditors need to gain control of the liquidation proceedings and appoint their own receiver - it is very expensive for them to do this.

Comment

Fraudulent trading

“You need to be exceptionally careful when dissolving a company due to debt as you can open charges of fraudulent trading, wrongful trading, or preference which go via the criminal route after insolvency.”

Fraudulent trading or more akin to companies that take payments from the pubic to supply furniture and then hold on to the money for months and then spend it on other “expenses” (like directors fees and consultancy ) and then go into liquidation,. These companies normally advertise half price sofas on TV
        HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

I just spoke to the guys solicitors and they said that they can't advise me but in certain circumstances directors are personally liable for the companies debts. Any idea what these certain circumstances are?

Comment

Originally posted by DGK
            I just spoke to the guys solicitors and they said that they can't advise me but in certain circumstances directors are personally liable for the companies debts. Any idea what these certain circumstances are?
            fraudulent trading is one reason

trading whilst knowing the company is insolvent would be another

i am sure there are plenty more reasons !

Comment

Well first of all arrange for the goods to be returned, with a letter stating as agreed your are returning all goods that weren't sold. In other words you're within contract. Whilst you have the goods the supplier can legitimately claim you owe him.

There is no contract, so you have a good chance of getting out of this (nothing signed), and do this through a lawyer.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by DGK
                this is not one of them.

forget about it as an issue.

tim

Comment

How long after taking delivery can you return goods?

Comment

Originally posted by DGK
                    How long after taking delivery can you return goods?
                    You're in a b2b arrangement so consumer protection laws don't apply. It all comes down to what was in the contract or, in this case, what was orally agreed.

Comment

No contract at all, nothing signed, just we pay him when we sell the stuff.

Comment

Working...
                      X