• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mervyn King: helping savers would push Britain back into recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Well if you want people to pay down personal debt you need to give them the conditions to do so.
    Hasn't the opportunity been there for the last 20 or so months? Mortages would account for the largest part of anyone's personal debt
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Zero interest rates is the 2nd much bigger bank bailout paid directly by all taxpayers: the margin banks enjoy is huge and their costs massively down.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Quite. Which is why, apart from £50K or so emergency fund, most of my money is in stocks and shares.
        Wandsworth millionaire with a mansion got £50k cash yet he rejects easy 30k money during Olympics supposedly offered to him for 3 weeks rental

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          Do you think your 'average joe' who's struggling to survive during a period of high inflation on a stagnant wage could cope with a rate rise right now?
          If average joe who got mortgage when rates were 5-6% goes bust when rates go up from 0.5% to 2% then that average joe overextended him/herself and should go bust to act as a warning to future generations.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Wandsworth millionaire with a mansion got £50k cash yet he rejects easy 30k money during Olympics supposedly offered to him for 3 weeks rental
            But enough about me. We're all curious how many years you claimed the dole while developing SKA?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

But enough about me. We're all curious how many years you claimed the dole while developing SKA?
              None actually, what made you think I'd even bother trying to claim it?

Comment

None actually, what made you think I'd even bother trying to claim it?
                Just curious how you managed to live over nearly 10 years with no income?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Just curious how you managed to live over nearly 10 years with no income?
                  Well, in the first 5 years of work in UK I've saved enough to last another 5 years without any income other then ever decreasing interest on my savings.

Comment

If average joe who got mortgage when rates were 5-6% goes bust when rates go up from 0.5% to 2% then that average joe overextended him/herself and should go bust to act as a warning to future generations.
                    Average joe now pays £1.40 for a litre of fuel and his utility companies treat him like an open cheque book, not to mention how Tescos are taking the piss.

Try putting yourself in his shoes rather than just preaching with the benefit of hindsight.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Does it still pay to be prudent?

Should I spend spend spend in accordance with Merv's instructions?
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X