• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mervyn King: helping savers would push Britain back into recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Most people probably expected a house price crash rather than a continuance on the same course for ever and to bail out mortgage holders and bankers. Maggie would have had interest rates up to 15% by now.
    A rate rise was needed a couple of years ago - but not to 15%. Even 1% would have done the trick. But BoE is run by a clueless idiot with no experience of the real world.

Now it just needs QE reining in a bit until inflation gets under 3% which is likely this year.

Comment

The usual cretins pontificating about stuff they don't understand.
      plus ca change.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        The usual cretins pontificating about stuff they don't understand.
        plus ca change.
        The seagull poster is back. Flies in, makes alot of noise, tulips everywhere and flies out again.

Would you care to elucidate or are you just going to carry on halucinating?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          at some point wages will have to catch up and that would really push the prices up.
          ..and hence lots of lovely capital appreciation...
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Cash vs Stocks
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I've been making the most of the low interest rates and overpaying on my mortagage seeing as it's my largest overhead and the only real savings I have now are those to tide me over should I have anytime off between contracts otherwise I'd see saving as a futile exercise.
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                Quite. Which is why, apart from £50K or so emergency fund, most of my money is in stocks and shares.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Do you think your 'average joe' who's struggling to survive during a period of high inflation on a stagnant wage could cope with a rate rise right now?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Do you think your 'average joe' who's struggling to survive during a period of high inflation on a stagnant wage could cope with a rate rise right now?
                    I'd say it would depend on how big the increase is
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                      I'd say it would depend on how big the increase is
                      Well if you want people to pay down personal debt you need to give them the conditions to do so.
                      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                      X