• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The best SF ever

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OrangeHopper
    I have very nearly given up reading Science Fiction because, in my opinion, there has rarely been any hard core science based stuff since Donaldson got in on the act.

Gibson was one breath of fresh air. He probably heads my list along with Asimov.

Enjoyed the works of Robert Sawyer a few years ago.

Thought Richard Morgan had the right ideas but his books are too long.

Most modern science fiction books are far too long and would be greatly improved if they were edited down to the length of the classics.

If you want hardcore science in your science fiction check out Stephen Baxter.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Hounds of Heaven - Eric Burgess & Arthur Friggens

Comment

Already Mentioned but 1st choice for me is Richard Morgan -
        Altered Carbon
        Fallen Angels
        Woken furies

Top quality cyber punk SF!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          And "The Practice Effect" alternate universe where things have to have the newness worn into them...
          Oh yes, I remember that one - The idea is that the Universe is shrinking, so the laws of thermodymics are reversed and instead of order decreasing and things wearing out with use it's the reverse.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Anything by Lem. and the Foundation series
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Neuromancer tops all, can't think of another book that had the sort of impact that Gibson's did when it came out.

Lot's of great stuff though: Iain M Banks, Steven Donaldson, Robert A Heinlein, Frank Herbert, David Zindell, Dan Simmons, Neil Stephenson, Jeff Noon, Asimov, Arthur C Clarke. Any of these guys is well worth picking up and reading.
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Anything by John Wyndham especially Day of The Triffids
                Do you think people who pack the confectionary into boxes at fudge making factories tell people what they do for a living?

Comment

Anything by Robert Sheckley for a blackly humorous slant on things.
                  I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Anything containing a purple-haired Gabrielle Drake.

Oh, and don't forget 'Dark Star'.
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong
                      Anything containing a purple-haired Gabrielle Drake.

Oh, and don't forget 'Dark Star'.
                      Need I remind anyone about my role in Dark Star.

Comment

Working...
                      X