• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Refused treatment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Not So Wise
    And to be honest refusing someone treatment because they sent pics of dead fetus to the hospital when such a hospital has probably treated rapists, murders, pedophiles or any other number of types that have caused a lot more harm and distress to others is a bit two faced and huge overreaction imo.
    Pure rubbish. This guy deliberately targetted that hospital with his offensive material. Not only that, but I heard him last week on the Radio 2 calling anyone who performs an abortion a murderer, and was totally unrepentant of his actions.

Would you fix someone's computer if they had delivered stuff like that to a female colleague? Even if you were bound by a contract which said you must?

Think about it carefully. If for some reason the operation went wrong, that guy would probably sue the hospital for malptractice on the grounds of prejudice against him. He is putting the staff there in an impossible situation.

Me in a surgeon's position? I'd quietly drop him to the bottom of the waiting list every time he came to the top, I simply wouldn't put my career on the line for someone like that.

Unfortunately for the offensive git, by making it public, he could find other hospitals refusing him treatment too

Tough luck. He brought it upon himself.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman
      Pure rubbish. This guy deliberately targetted that hospital with his offensive material. Not only that, but I heard him last week on the Radio 2 calling anyone who performs an abortion a murderer, and was totally unrepentant of his actions.

Would you fix someone's computer if they had delivered stuff like that to a female colleague? Even if you were bound by a contract which said you must?

Think about it carefully. If for some reason the operation went wrong, that guy would probably sue the hospital for malptractice on the grounds of prejudice against him. He is putting the staff there in an impossible situation.

Me in a surgeon's position? I'd quietly drop him to the bottom of the waiting list every time he came to the top, I simply wouldn't put my career on the line for someone like that.

Unfortunately for the offensive git, by making it public, he could find other hospitals refusing him treatment too

Tough luck. He brought it upon himself.

"Even if you were bound by a contract which said you must?"
      Yes, is my reaction. If you work for the NHS it is because you care about providing medical treatment for anyone no matter how bad or good they are. If you want to start getting judgemental about people then go off into the private sector.
      If you are an NHS surgeon you should feel confident that you are not going to "botch" the operation and get sued whether the patient is predisposed to litigation or not. If that is a serious worry you lack the professionalism and backbone to do the job, and another career would perhaps be more appropriate for you.
      If the operation went wrong due to a situation outside your control then you won't be blamed by the NHS trust because it was not your fault.
      If you start manually manipulating people's places on waiting lists you ought to be subject to significant diciplinary action. No I can't spell.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman
        Simple answer, yes unless i had the option to return any funds paid in advance

If Doctors want to pick and choose who to treat and who not to they need to go to private sector where if they refuse to treat someone who has paid for something and do not return the money they get sued (and possible jail for fraud)

If you work the public sector you are meant to be there for every tax payer, equally, otherwise we will end up in situations like police refuseing to investigate rapes because the victim is a prostitute...oh woops nearly there already with them doing the equivilant of your waiting list juggleing example.

Comment

Working...
        X