• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Darren Upton goes down for 6 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
    Anyone else seen Darrens linked in page.

Not half taking a break.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

They dont like accountants in jail. I was watching this documentary about one, and 'the sisters' used to hold him down and bum him up. He only escaped in the end by chiselling his way out with a tiny rock hammer.
      Does anyone know if 'Uppers' is a chiseller ?

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post

If I was going to steal close to a million quid to shack up with some bird, it would not be with her.
        WMMS!

In spades! Looks as hard as nails to me. I know one man's meat is another's poison and all that, but that look turns me right off, and she's got a bit of a scowl in other photos too.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

If you search for her full name in google.co.uk images you now get at least 3 CUK avatars.

Congrats to Faq, SB and Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            They dont like accountants in jail. I was watching this documentary about one, and 'the sisters' used to hold him down and bum him up. He only escaped in the end by chiselling his way out with a tiny rock hammer.

Is there also a biography ghost written by Stephen King?
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              What a mid-life crisis that was!

Maserati, mistress, toy railway set, he had it all!

Comment

Rest of the Upton cabal?

Anyone heard what happened to the other officials caught up in the Upton mess?

Did his wife Tina also get struck off/blacklisted by professional body? Also any other officials at the firm involved?

Has his professional accountancy body offered any apology for their regulatory failings? Or offered to reimbursable those affected clients, and HMRC?

I suppose the best option for clients may be to claim on his P.I. Policy. must be up to 1M covered on that policy. Enough for everyone he affected..

cheers

Comment

I got stung the same way as others...do you know the bank account he created was actually called HMRC. No how the feck can Barclays allow someone to create a bank account called that. I was in the middle of a messy divorce when all this happened, and Upton took full advantage. Im hoping that HMRC will still be pragmatic about this.
                  I hope someone rips him a new a$$ole in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
                    Anyone heard what happened to the other officials caught up in the Upton mess?

Did his wife Tina also get struck off/blacklisted by professional body? Also any other officials at the firm involved?

Has his professional accountancy body offered any apology for their regulatory failings? Or offered to reimbursable those affected clients, and HMRC?

I suppose the best option for clients may be to claim on his P.I. Policy. must be up to 1M covered on that policy. Enough for everyone he affected..

cheers
                    I don't think that Tina was ever a member of a professional body. Anyway, Darren had been struck of by the ACCA for other practising regulation breaches. Note that neither Upton Accountants nor Freedom Accountants showed the word "chartered" on their websites last year. Both companies are simply unregulated accountancy firms with no affiliation to a professional body.

PII probably wouldn't pay out because it's theft/fraud and not negligence or incompetence.

Even if he had still been a member of an accountancy body, their only sanction is to fine him or expel him from membership. They have no power to order compensation to be paid to clients.

As for regulatory failings - crazily enough, the accountancy bodies don't "regulate" the accountant's affairs with their clients - they don't do file reviews etc. Their main role is simply to ensure adherence with the rules of the professional body. An accountancy regulatory body would never go out looking for theft/fraud as it's not within their remit.

Not checked recently, but at one time, the main reason for striking off by the ICAEW (Chartered accountants) was not paying the annual subscription. That say's it all really.

At the end of the day, "accountancy" within the UK has no regulation. Literally anyone can call themselves an accountant or run an accountancy practice, qualifications or experience irrelevant. Obviously it's better to use a firm that's regulated by an accountancy body because then there's at least PII insurance, some degree of ongoing training/development to keep up to date, and the threat of losing their "chartered" status if they screw up badly, but the client is still on their own relying on their own legal action to get recompense if things go wrong, like in this case.
                    Last edited by philip@wellwoodhoyle; 13 February 2012, 10:34.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                      Is there also a biography ghost written by Stephen King?
                      Let me guess, he was mates with a guy who looked like Morgan Freeman? I think I've seen that 'documentary'

Comment

Working...
                      X