• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Learn Dutch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Next time I happen to have a contract in NL, I might go to evening class and learn Dutch. It would be interesting anyway, but could it lead to being able to apply for "Dutch-speaking" contracts? Or do they really mean "Dutch person wanted"?
    No they mean someone who can speak Dutch. If you get fluent it would be no problem.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by petergriffin View Post
      Holland is nothing like the Germanic world. In the latter you're appreciated if you speak their language, in Holland if you speak Dutch they'll reply in English.
      Yes, but if you read Dutch then you won't get the effect where nobody wants to send you an email conversation because then they'd have to translate all the previous emails for you.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
        Yes, but if you read Dutch then you won't get the effect where nobody wants to send you an email conversation because then they'd have to translate all the previous emails for you.
        Hasn't stopped my colleagues from sending me stuff, but thankfully I've had a lot of exposure so I get the general context without having to resort to google gobbledygook ( the Dutch to English is hilarious).
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

If you speak the language fluently you'll be treated like a local so definitely worth learning. Once the fluency is there people don't see the "foreigner" anymore. You don't necessarily have to write it, thouigh once you can speak it you should be able write pretty well as well. If you already speak German it's pretty easy to get fluent.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            If you speak the language fluently you'll be treated like a local so definitely worth learning. Once the fluency is there people don't see the "foreigner" anymore. You don't necessarily have to write it, thouigh once you can speak it you should be able write pretty well as well. If you already speak German it's pretty easy to get fluent.
            I'm glad it worked for you but my experiences have not been very good. In my last contract I got in serious trouble with my colleagues who stopped speaking Dutch when I was around because I understood them (well , sort of..). The only good thing is that I'm able to read and almost wholly understand a Dutch contract, but this hasn't really helped me much. But I improved my German while in Holland as the Germans were very keen on speaking with me in their language.
            <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Working...
            X