• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
    If you're worried about the above, you might as well forget about owning anything other than guns, because I'm sure an angry mob will be along to take your physical house away if you don't.
    Physical house is harder to get because it would need to be sold to somebody who has the money - it requires some local police folk go against locals, very hard and inefficient.

Much easier to give "tax free" status and make people pay in now voluntarily - the only reason it's "tax free" is because they get 100% of that dosh in exchange for faint hope you'll get it paid off to you in the future.

If you can't put your own hard earned money to good use now doing Plan Bs whilst you are still relatively young and strong then forget all hope.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Pension. Holiday homes are a notoriously bad investment.
      Explain. Inquiring minds would like to know more.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Physical house is harder to get because it would need to be sold to somebody who has the money - it requires some local police folk go against locals, very hard and inefficient.
        Not sure you can rely on the police, I will have already bribed them before I kick your tenants out at gunpoint and rent it out to my own.

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Much easier to give "tax free" status and make people pay in now voluntarily - the only reason it's "tax free" is because they get 100% of that dosh in exchange for faint hope you'll get it paid off to you in the future.
        Who are "they"?
        "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Not sure you can rely on the police, I will have already bribed them before I kick your tenants out at gunpoint and rent it out to my own.

Comment

Who are "they"?
            Bribed?

FFS, you're new at this, aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Bribed?

FFS, you're new at this, aren't you?
              Stay out of this one Fenton.
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Buy yourself a timeshare in Benidorm.

100% top quality investment. Said so on the leaflet.

Comment

Why being a weedy lefty ponce doesn't fit with being a bastard landlord.

Why I've quit buy-to-let | Money | The Guardian

What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Bank of England poised to restart QE stimulus - Telegraph

Research from financial services company Hargreaves Lansdown found that a 65-year-old man with £100,000 could have bought a level income of £7,855 in July 2008, but someone in the same situation today would only receive an income of £5,923, a drop of just under 25pc.

Dr Ros Altmann, director-general of Saga, said the "short-term stimulus" of QE has "very dangerous long-term consequences".

She said: "Buying gilts is not the best way to stimulate growth - it does, of course, help the banks, but it actually has side-effects that directly damage the economic outlook.

"Having more and more poorer pensioners and forcing companies to put money into their pension schemes, rather than their business operations, is a drag on growth, not a boost."

She said tumbling annuity rates mean that "over a million pensioners will be permanently poorer for the rest of their lives, as they have bought an annuity at rates that have been artificially depressed by the Bank of England".

"The impact of QE on pensions and pensioners will lead to lower growth, so we urge the Bank to consider different ways of using newly created money to try to boost the economy."

Versus

Rents soar to record levels | Money | guardian.co.uk
                    Loans squeeze spurs buy-to-let boom - FT.com

Comment

Originally posted by Whoosh View Post
                      Pension or holiday home ?
                      Holiday home as priority - for own use and also holiday letting to cover costs. Works out better and my IFA has concerns about pension situation when my time comes for retirement.

Comment

Working...
                      X