• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Speed up PC and Defrag Software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do a search for all tmp files *.tmp bin the lot then clear down the system restore folder (hidden system folder, you need to unhide hidden and system files, then on the security tab for system volume folder add your self and give yourself full permissions otherwise you will not get in) clear down the folders within, these are all the old restore points and in extreme cases can fill a hard drive up then create a new restore point if you rely on these

then good old defrag do it a couple of times if it still looks fragmented and finally cmd line chkdsk /r (cannot lock the drive so runs at next startup) to repair any startup issues.

Comment

A max of 2gb of RAM is a bit rubbish for a laptop that is only 3 years old. My old Tosh has 4 in it and it belts along for its age!
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Reinstall then
        As I have previously. Windows OS is like having a non housetrained puppy in the house. You will occasional find poo left around or even hidden. You can clean it up but then one day it eats laxative and no matter how hard you try and clean the mess, it smells and leaves marks. That it is the time to throw out the carpet and replace it.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
        X