• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

-12C and diving

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Diving is not recommended at -12C.
    Diving/swimming at -12C is no different to 0C - the water isn't any colder.

Getting out of the water at -12C - now that's when you will feel it.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post

Freezing supercooled water puzzles scientists

As every schoolchild knows, water freezes at 0°C. Or perhaps not. It has been known for centuries that pure water, in the absence of any nucleating surface, can remain in a supercooled liquid state down to temperatures as low as
      -40°
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Salty ocean water freezes about -2, that will change slightly with increased pressure at depth as well.

Really salty water can get much colder.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

That's why I said fresh water, even worse from a high board.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            That's why I said fresh water, even worse from a high board.
            I'm off to Iceland for half term - -5 but 'feels like' -18. I'm reliably informed (by MF and others) that the water temperature is 40C

Comment

You are almost guaranteed a reg free flow at sub 2C unless you've got something fancy.

Mostly, <2C is time for alternative diving activities...
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

It is nice and warm in the Blue Lagoon.

-20°C here at the moment, but with a high today of -10C.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

'plummet' - that's a good winter word. The BBC weather lady used it several times.

Comment

Working...
                  X