• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fred Goodwin Loses Knighthood

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Very extreme reaction in the telegraph. It's official: Britain is closed for business – Telegraph Blogs . But JW makes one good point :-

"where were all the politicians who now sanctimoniously call for his head on a plate at the time when all the mischief was going on? Cheering him on from the sidelines, that's where." .
    Typical tory graph these days.

I swear blind the UK is becoming an increasingly difficult place to do business whilst remaining in the confines of the law.

Approached recently by an international company looking to employ my services as a consultant. Then I got a strange look when talking about my Ltd. Why do you have a Ltd company? Are you more than one person? No.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Along with all the sycophants that did'nt question his buying of ABN Amro in the first place
      Like the then-chairman of RBS - Sir Tom McKillop, who was an avid defender of the ABN Amro deal.

But his knighthood isn't under threat because he's not in the papers as a recognizable figure. The "rules" seem to be that if you do well in one place (McKillop's knighthood was for services to the pharmaceuticals industry) and then **** up somewhere else, then you'll be OK.

Presumably, that's why the boss of Farepak Sir Clive Thompson isn't under any pressure - his was for services to rat catching (or whatever it was as boss of Rentokill).
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I'm going against the mob mentality on here.

Goodwin should not have been stripped of his knighthood - he committed no crime in law. He would however remain as a festering example of what can happen when the government of the day misuses the honours system.

He should also keep his pension. That was a commercial contract and it is no business of the government or the public to change it, whoever now owns his old employer.

Once you start trying and penalising people by "the court of public opinion", as one Labour ex-minister advocated, you are on a slippery slope.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          I'm going against the mob mentality on here.

Goodwin should not have been stripped of his knighthood - he committed no crime in law. He would however remain as a festering example of what can happen when the government of the day misuses the honours system.

He should also keep his pension. That was a commercial contract and it is no business of the government or the public to change it, whoever now owns his old employer.

Once you start trying and penalising people by "the court of public opinion", as one Labour ex-minister advocated, you are on a slippery slope.
          I agree - the honours system now seems to be an explicit link with reward, if they can be removed this easily / quickly because with the benefit of hindsight they weren't a good idea.

Goodwin hasn't been charged, nor will he be. He hasn't been "struck off" (or whatever the FSA can do), nor will he be.

The fact that he is unpopular shouldn't form a basis for removing his knighthood.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

It gets even worse for Fred

Matt cartoons witty political cartoons and satirical sketches - Telegraph
            Clarity is everything

Comment

Now that he's potentially losing his place in the sprint team, will the committee be stripping Sir Chris Hoy of his knighthood?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Daily Mash

Professor Henry Brubaker, of the Institute for Studies, said: "He got the knighthood because Labour was choking itself on the City of London's penis and he took a massive risk in buying Nat West.

"He lost the knighthood because the Tories are choking themselves on the penis of public opinion and he took a massive risk in buying ABN Amro.

"So we have two slightly different penises, while one of the risks worked and the other one didn't."
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  Once you start trying and penalising people by "the court of public opinion" you are on a slippery slope.
                  CUK has been doing this for years without any ill effects. Oh hang on...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    CUK has been doing this for years without any ill effects. Oh hang on...
                    They really should have put the whole question to a CUK poll . Andy W would by now be running RBS
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      Typical tory graph these days.

Approached recently by an international company looking to employ my services as a consultant. Then I got a strange look when talking about my Ltd. Why do you have a Ltd company? Are you more than one person? No.
                      Was it these people by any chance?

http://originalmetalsigns.co.uk/shop.../8/0/80063.jpg
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X