• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Solar Panels.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thelurker View Post
    We contacted a company called homserve (or similar!) who would install the panels on our roof so "no cost" to us.

This looks like a **no brainier** of free electricity and extra energy generated goes back to the company that installed the energy.

But where is the catch......
    Homeserve ????

be very very careful.
    you can get 50% of the installation cost iirc plus the annual subsidies.

but subsidies can be pulled. and SOME companies have a reputation for screwing over their customers via the small print

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
      Get the type that heats up water, not the electricity-making ones.

Most of your electricity probably goes on heating water anyway.

Then you just need to hit 'boost' for a bit, rather than heating stone-cold water up from scratch.
      A top tip - however you may want to consider a belt and braces solution of adding a low voltage immersion heater with wind charging the batteries to run the heater for when the sun don't shine
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

possible downsides - not everyone may want a house with that stuff on the roof.

If you take the "free power" deal where you don't pay for the panels you have something on your roof that doesn't belong to you - again a potential complication at time of sale.

Comment

How solar panels can dim mortgage prospects | Money | The Guardian

If anyone is looking to install solar in the South-East (and is going to pay/own it) then I know someone who will offer a great deal.

BP

Comment

This huge structure only generates around 6kw/h on sunny days and 0.06 when cloudy.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              This huge structure only generates around 6kw/h on sunny days and 0.06 when cloudy.
              I note its at Vauxhall which is affected by proximity to Wandsworth which is in permanent darkness.

Seriously - 6kw/hr??? It must be very old and inefficient. Can't they get newer solar panels?

Or maybe cowboy installer - my m8 would sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I note its at Vauxhall which is affected by proximity to Wandsworth which is in permanent darkness.

Seriously - 6kw/hr??? It must be very old and inefficient. Can't they get newer solar panels?

Or maybe cowboy installer - my m8 would sort it out.
                Or pointed in the wrong direction. lets be honest the average contractor would allow them to be north facing if someone told them to put them there.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

If anyone in the South-East wants a quote please let me know.
                  If anyone is looking to install solar in the South-East (and is going to pay/own it) then I know someone who will offer a great deal.
                  Stop spamming the board with your crap. It's not entirely believable that you "have a friend" anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Stop spamming the board with your crap. It's not entirely believable that you "have a friend" anyway.
                    Well this is a picture of last weekends outing with Churchill.

What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                      Well this is a picture of last weekends outing with Churchill.

Thats the picture I took of Churchy and his son. Before CM sent them off to the naughty step.

Comment

Working...
                      X