• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should smacking laws be eased after riots?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current legislation, enforced under The Children Act of 2004, says parents are allowed to smack their offspring without causing the ''reddening of the skin''.
    So in other words the law says you can give a white kid a gentle tap and you can slap a black kid as hard as you like.

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      So in other words the law says you can give a white kid a gentle tap and you can slap a black kid as hard as you like.

It is possible to tell . My mistress is half-caste and loves a good spanking. The skin difference is noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        It is possible to tell . My mistress is half-caste and loves a good spanking. The skin difference is noticeable.
        Possibly, but perhaps not with the darker kids.

However, I don't have a problem with parents dealing out the odd slap across the thighs or a twist of the ear. Not in favour of canes though; that introduces a whole new dimension as essentially it's a weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          Just saw a trailer for a documentary about social workers to be shown on BBC1. Looks interesting - they're all w4nkers.
          ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            But I detest social workers. It should be possible to sue anyone who does not do their job properly.
            I prefer not to sue anyone personally - it's a sure sign of a broken system/society where the way to complain about a bad worker is to try and sue them. The right way is to have a way to make complaints that are actually upheld (I'm sure that's no more likely!)

But either way, are they really impossible to sue? You can sue your doctor or your council, people do it all the time and then people on CUK post about how a council is wasting £100k paying someone who tripped over an uneven pavement.

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            It doesn't sound that unlikely, does it.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              Didn't people riot in the good old smacking days too?
              Riot yes. Go on extreem shopping trips? Not so much...

There was a women on radio 4 last year talking about the african migrants and how the times have changed. I don't think it was just the Africans that knew how to guide the kids. Back in the 70's I knew that if I was up to no good, anyone of a dozen or so elders in my neighbourhood would deal with it, and then it would get back to my dad. (then there would be real trouble!) it involved me getting a bloody good hiding on maybe 3 occasions in 18 years. But the result was that I was respectful, helpful and able to be let loose on a large area of East London without the risk of dishonouring my family or causing harm to others.

Compare that with the yoof of my kids generation. The only thing they are worried about is the occasional stranger trying to bugger them senseless. But the idea that a stranger would stop them smashing windows or other bits of vandalism is a totally alien concept.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                Compare that with the yoof of my kids generation.
                BBC ON THIS DAY | 18 | 1964: Mods and Rockers jailed after seaside riots

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  Riot yes. Go on extreem shopping trips? Not so much...

There was a women on radio 4 last year talking about the african migrants and how the times have changed. I don't think it was just the Africans that knew how to guide the kids. Back in the 70's I knew that if I was up to no good, anyone of a dozen or so elders in my neighbourhood would deal with it, and then it would get back to my dad. (then there would be real trouble!) it involved me getting a bloody good hiding on maybe 3 occasions in 18 years. But the result was that I was respectful, helpful and able to be let loose on a large area of East London without the risk of dishonouring my family or causing harm to others.
                  Do you think it was the hidings that shaped you or the fact that boundaries were imposed?
                  The current problems are down to a lack of boundaries for these kids behaviour. Enforcement doesn't have to be physical, just carried through properly.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

"The world is passing through troublous times. The young people of
                    today think of nothing but themselves. They have no reverence for
                    parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as
                    if they knew everything, and what passes for wisdom with us is
                    foolishness with them. As for the girls, they are forward, immodest
                    and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

Peter the Hermit, 1274 AD

""What is happening to our young
                    people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They
                    ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions.
                    Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

Plato, quoting Socrates (although some dispute about source/wording). 423 BC

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                      As for the girls, they are forward, immodest
                      and unladylike in speech, behavior and dress."

Peter the Hermit, 1274 AD
                      Peter didn't get much then?

Comment

Working...
                      X