• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bad Refs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pondlife
    Did you ask the person if you could use them first? If so, I'm thinking that you had a decent enough relationship with them to think about using them. If this is the case then phone them and ask.
    HTH
    Yep, he offered references but gave bad ones, ie, a lie.

Its not really important now as I've moved on. The references werent so important as the work stood up for itself.

The questions was, has anyone really sued? Or is it a myth?

Comment

I did hear it is illegal to offer a bad reference but not to offer no reference.

Phone the CAB and ask them and if it's true - sue em til their nuts pop...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

my ex-manager has told me he will give a bad reference if i give his name for reference, since i didn't give sufficient notice while leaving my crap permi job.
        can he do that?
        I am thinking of giving my other mobile number and speak as a female when agent calls me.will that work ?

Comment

It is a common misconception that the giving of a bad reference is in itself illegal. It is not. He can do it, but there is a possibility that it might be libel and you could then sue if you can demonstrate subsequent loss resulted from the libellous reference or that your character has been so smeared that people are likely to shun you (i.e. refuse to give you a job).

Also bear in mind that under English law a statement cannot be libellous if it is true, so be very sure you aren't actually a good-for-nothing tulipebag before going down that road and ending up with a large legal bill.
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
            my ex-manager has told me he will give a bad reference if i give his name for reference, since i didn't give sufficient notice while leaving my crap permi job.
            can he do that?
            I am thinking of giving my other mobile number and speak as a female when agent calls me.will that work ?
            People can't make defamatory comments about you without providing evidence otherwise it's libel or slander - although slander may be difficult to prove. They can refuse to comment though.

Not sure the falsetto voice will help to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
              can he do that?
              Warn any client that your previous employer has said this. Explain why you left. Ask them for a copy of the ref.
              If it is in any way untrue then you are quids in.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife
                People can't make defamatory comments about you without providing evidence otherwise it's libel or slander - although slander may be difficult to prove. They can refuse to comment though.

Not sure the falsetto voice will help to be honest.
                English justice doesn't work like that, Pondlife. In a libel case the libellor is the accused and it is up to the libellee to prove it is libellous, not for the libellor to prove it isn't.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that (until the next criminal justice bill from New Labour, that is).

Best bet in these situations is to tell the interviewer your previous company has a "no references" policy. Either that or get a mate to act as your referee.
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorcontractor
                  I have had a couple of explanations which dont add up, arrogance, overpay, lack of standards. I have no explanation for it. The work I delivered was blindingly good.

Oh and top marks to Sparticus for the tenuous New Labour link
                  I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

I had a notice period of 2 months and since i was not getting any contract with that much notice i just called my manager , made up some excuse and buggered off

Comment

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                      Oh and top marks to Sparticus for the tenuous New Labour link
                      Quite right. Too much hand-wringing about war in Lebanon, gay weddings and posters with multiple nicks today, and not nearly enough New Labour bashing.
                      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Working...
                      X