• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland - the facts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What about fair share of UK debt that Scotland would certainly have to take on in event of becoming independent?
    Well according to the Dim one it was all Labour's fault, and since Labour were voted in by the Scots (and Welsh), by a strange logic, the debt is all Scottish.

Comment

Originally posted by oscarose View Post
      (England has the gas).
      I know, your full of it.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        You don't hear much about it because paying tax isn't the same thing as opening a savings account. If it were I would happily take the money I've paid in tax over the years and **** off tomorrow and I suspect quite a lot of other people would too.

BTW the 4.3% of Norway's GDP made up by tourism works out about £12 billion. Their GDP is almost 2x Scotland's. Presumably because they don't have a Whiskey industry.

BTW2 even the Scottish government doesn't claim that all of the land in Scotland is suitable for agricultural uses, the true figure is more like 62,000 km2, about 52,000km2 or which is only suitable for grazing livestock.

BTW3 wikipedia reckons that Norway's proven oil reserves are about twice that of the UK.

Your "facts" are starting to look a bit less factual to me.
        Oh yes, the Norwegians still have a ship building industry as well. It's worth ~ £70 billion a year.

Did I mention they have a tax take of ~41% of GDP?
        Last edited by doodab; 28 January 2012, 19:59.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          I know, your full of it.
          Just what I heard on radio 5, along with Murray losing in the tennis again . Scotland has the oil and England the gas. Falkland's reserves are ours though.
          one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            I know, your full of it.
            you're

Comment

Norway:

GDP (nominal) 2010 estimate
              - Total $414.462 billion[3]
              - Per capita $84,443[3]

Scotland:

- Total GBP 139.774 billion[4]

From Wikipedia:

Also unemployment in Scotland is 8.7%
              In Norway it is 3.3%

Scotland has no culture of enterprise outside of Oil and Whiskey and maybe a bit of fish farming. It has an entitlement culture that dominates its population. So how on Earth is it going to sustain itself ?
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

"So how on Earth is it going to sustain itself ?"

Not our problem, hopefully :-)

England out of the UK - NOW!!!

Comment

Mr Donuts. Vote 'yes' please.
                  one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                    been a lot of talk in the last few days about how Scotland couldnt survive on its own. I suspected this might be FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt being spread by some shadowy groups) thought it best to check out given its importance though. So lets compare scotland with the worlds fourth richest country NORWAY !

Norway Scotland
                    Population
                    4.9 million v 5.2 million
                    Oil reserves
                    16.4 billion barrels v 25 billion barrels
                    Farming land
                    10000km2 v 78000km2
                    Whisky
                    0 v £3billion pa
                    Tourism
                    4.3% gdp v £4.5 Billion pa
                    Finance industry
                    ? v £20 billion per year

conclusion scotland would be better off than norway

oh and regarding the rbs debt, they were the biggest tax payer in the uk for many years up to the crisis often paying
                    £2billion per year in tax. So the bailout cost has largely
                    been covered by the money they have already paid in tax. Which you dont hear too much about for some strange reason

So a free scotland it is!

oh and sources -look them up yourself if you dont believe it. It will take you about 5min using google/wikipedia
                    Pint of Beer Scotland £1.80 Norway £8.00
                    Bottle Whisky Scotland £22.00 Norway £60
                    Income tax Scotland 25% Norway 50%
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Pint of Beer Scotland £1.80 Norway £8.00
                      Bottle Whisky Scotland £22.00 Norway £60
                      Income tax Scotland 25% Norway 50%
                      No one works in Scotland so they can make tax rates at whatever level they wish
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X