• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is they way I see it :

The euro has no lender of last resort, it could be the ECB but the Germans don't want the ECB printing euros and won't allow it. So there are inflationary concerns in europe, particularly from ze Germans whose economy thrives on the euro staying right where it is.

You can either cut interest rates to reduce inflation, or when they are so low that cutting them would mean negative interest rates (ie paying for the privilege of lending) then you can print money which is effectively like an interest rate cut.

So the euro has been whipsawing about for the last few months with Goldmans manipulating the currency markets and lining their pockets. Short positions on the euro are at an all time high (this is pretty meaningless as the number of short positions against the euro keeps risinng so yesterdays all time high pales into the distance against todays one)

Recently the figures are out showing that the British economy has shrunk in the last quarter, queue a kneejerk reaction of people dumping the pound and moving to they safety off [insert the current thought to be safe place to stash your cash here], probably US treasury bonds, although recently it was Tesco shares

So the pound gets dumped, and it's not that the euro strengthens against the pound per se, rather that the pound weakens. Plotting euro against gold would give a truer reflection, and yep it is a race to the bottom.

Believe it or not, the movers and shakers in the market have started 2012 quite bullish, and while talk of green shoots is not in the mainstream media, it won't be long.

Will the eurozone collapse? No. Will the euro cease to exist? No. Will the eurozone look like this 12 months from now? Not on your nelly.

And while I'm staring into my crystal ball, I also see the gold bubble bursting pretty soon.

Just saying like
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Because of the effects of 15 years of Labour ruin. Compared to that, Europe is in great shape.
      That Gordon Brown has a lot to answer for, but I never realised he ran the Greek economy and the USA mortgage system too!

Comment

Country
        Total lending exposure to Greece (millions) Total Government debt exposure to Greece (millions)
        Total of 24 countries
        145,783 54,196
        European banks
        136,317 52,258
        Non-European banks
        9,466 1,938
        France
        56,740 14,960
        Germany
        33,974 22,651
        Italy
        4,085 2,345
        Japan
        1,631 432
        Spain
        974 540
        UK
        14,060 3,408
        US
        7,318 1,505

In a nutshell, the UK is exposed to twice as much Greek debt as the USA! Three quarters of it unwisely lent by banks - not our Government (regardless of party).

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Why?

Remember by comparison to the £ not a single euro extra has been printed.
          Yes the EZ countries have been marching strongly on on their own merit

... apart from the odd half a trillion euros lent at 1% for three years...

Comment

Why are our - frankly - incompetent bankers still at liberty?

If they had so failed in China instead of the UK, they would have been executed by now.

Comment

Originally posted by KimberleyChris View Post
              Country
              Total lending exposure to Greece (millions) Total Government debt exposure to Greece (millions)
              Total of 24 countries
              145,783 54,196
              European banks
              136,317 52,258
              Non-European banks
              9,466 1,938
              France
              56,740 14,960
              Germany
              33,974 22,651
              Italy
              4,085 2,345
              Japan
              1,631 432
              Spain
              974 540
              UK
              14,060 3,408
              US
              7,318 1,505

In a nutshell, the UK is exposed to twice as much Greek debt as the USA! Three quarters of it unwisely lent by banks - not our Government (regardless of party).
              You're commas are broken

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                You're commas are broken
                Sorry. I copied it from a table in the Telegraph, and put 'tabs' in to separate the columns and turn it back into a vertical table, but they disappeared when I posted it.

I'm a plonker.

Comment

Sorry. I copied it from a table in the Telegraph, and put 'tabs' in to separate the columns and turn it back into a vertical table, but they disappeared when I posted it.

I'm a plonker.
                  This I like

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    This I like
                    At least I'm honest about it

Comment

At least I'm honest about it
                      And that's what I like, you plonker.

Comment

Working...
                      X