• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hats off to Hector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All this extra salary you are saving by travelling on a filthy bus and then 2nd class rail, what are you spending it on?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      All this extra salary you are saving by travelling on a filthy bus and then 2nd class rail, what are you spending it on?
      Every week I buy myself something nice from Ann Summers.

I wouldn't, but as I said earlier I haven't got a choice, no first class service you see.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
        What's the price difference for the train journey?

I'd go for first class for a long journey for a contract but for 20min? every day?
        He comes in nearly every day. He's not in today though so I can't ask him.

He gets on at the last stop before Paddington, possibly Slough but I don't know that route too well, I come in to Marylebone.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          I am of the "cheap" school. I see no point in paying first class unless it enables me to work or gain in some other way. Just because it is a valid expense does not stop it being a waste of money and at the end of the day it is money off your company profits.
          I'd like to agree with you here but I can't; I pay 52% tax on anything I pay myself over 50k euros and if I can get a little enjoyment out of my turnover instead of my profits I will do that; eating a nice meal in the evenings when staying close to clientco is not a 'reward' either; I'd rather be at home eating meatballs and mashed potato with Lady Tester and the lobster and oyster suppers are a tiny compensation for staying away from home all week working my balls off.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            He'll be spending half of it on tax, which is then handed on to failed bankers and benefit scroungers.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by manclarky View Post
              I do the NW-London weekly trains and travel first class - for free (every week except 8 a year) by being a member of Virgin Traveller Club.

Absolute bargain and means you get a seat every week (and lots of coffee delivered to your seat first thing on Monday morning)
              Absolute bargain once you've paid your small fortune to Virgin, you mean.

And you have to get the free tickets at the right time - when I's paid my fortune to join the club, the trains I needed to catch never had any free seats on them, even booking a month in advance.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                I'd go for first class for a long journey for a contract but for 20min? every day?
                I used to do London to Slough return each day first class.

But I was billing the agency for their cock up, so I didn't care how much it cost, and I always got a seat.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                X