• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guitar question - Gretsch 5120 vs Gretsch 6120

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a couple of Les Paul Custom's in the collection as well as a Strat but the DBZ Bolero I bought last year blows them all away and a damn sight cheaper as well.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Know what you mean, someone once leant me their Les Paul just to play during a jam session and I was happier to get my Westbury, Les Paul "similar" back. Has brighter pick ups which I rather like. Still like to practice on this £100 guitar. Took it round to another guitarist once and he couldn't get enough of it, with distortion it sounded pretty brilliant, though I'm more of a "clean country/jazz" player, and the cheaper Gretsch is better than the Rickenbacker 330 but mainly because it's more suited to what I play. I must say though generally I like the Epiphones and it might be an idea to get an Epiphone Emporer Jazz guitar and upgrade the pickups and shove on a tremelo arm.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
        so for all those budding musicians...

Has anyone who plays the Gretsch Electromatic series guitars upgraded to the "pro" 6120 or White Falcon?

Is it worth it? or is it more or less the same.

Wondering about trading in my Rickenbacker 330 for a Gretsch 6120 or White Falcon. At the moment I have an Electromatic Gretsch 5125 which I use for gigs, but sort of wonder whether I should upgrade. The bass player keeps egging me on.
        Hi... the 6120 is a better guitar overall than the Electromatic, however it depends on which variant. I've got a 6120 Hot Rod and a 6120 Setzer, and they're a more modern take on the bar-bridged 6120 that Chet Atkins made famous. They stay in tune better (locking tuners, Delrin nut) and have better pickups.

A 6120 is likely to have better pickups, made from better wood and have a different internal structure, plus better hardware.

Of course the sound is in your hands.

Gretsch quality control is pretty consistent, but the factory setups are usually not good. If you're in London, there is a Gretsch expert on Denmark Street (Regent Sounds), named Crispin.

Comment

Working...
        X