• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Powercuts - UPS on gas boiler??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No recent powercuts in our are
    heh heh I see what you did there
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      not really that crazy cause when you think about it you realise that there are a few control systems on the boiler which need electricity run.
      The gas also needs either electonic ignition or a pilot light constantly burning. Modern systems use electronic ignition
      Sure, but the control systems shouldn't need more than a trickle. Allowing you to plug in a 9v battery and light it with a spill would be nice.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        not really that crazy cause when you think about it you realise that there are a few control systems on the boiler which need electricity run.
        The gas also needs either electonic ignition or a pilot light constantly burning. Modern systems use electronic ignition
        But that gas fire on my study wall needs no leccy in spite of having electronic ignition (of sorts). No batteries needed.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Mine doesn't either.

There's some sort of piezo spark generator thingie that gets the pilot light going, then it's full output is available at a mere touch of the control knobbie thing.

I don't like it because it smells & gives me a headache.

Thought it was CO, but none of the various CO meters I've tried have ever detected anything.
          I had an ancient one in one of the bedrooms in my old house and felt quite ill when I slept with the thing on in the middle of winter. Whipped the panel off and it had last been serviced in 1975.

Wallop, straight down to the Gas showrooms and got a replacement on special offer, with free fitting.

The original in my present abode looked a bit dated and had a funny pong, so that got replaced pronto as well. I don't think either were CO or I might not be here, but I did suspect other noxious fumes.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            The pump is the most power hungry thing.
            Plus it's an inductive load which, I seem to recall, Invertors don't like.

Me, I just throw another tree in the stove (ok, maybe not at 3:00 am........)

Comment

Hi,

Having recently spent nearly 5 days without electricity, I've a bit of experience in this area.

I used a 3kva generator to run my Central Heating;Fridge/freezer;router;TV;Laptop;One light (low energy bulb)
              I could even boil a kettle.

I had to unwire my central heating and shower pump from their fused spurs and wire a plug onto the end, but I was warm, clean and had cold beer.

Overnight I used a 2kw UPS to keep the fridge and central heating running as I didn't want to run the generator all night long. It didn't last the full 8 hours, I guess maybe about 6 or 7 so not bad really.

All my cooking is electric and my microwave didn't like the generator at all so I had to eat out.

It was a huge PITA and I'm currently looking at 6kva generators and switchgear so I can switch the power across.

I think it could be a plan B. I can see power stability being a problem in the medium term.

Al.
              Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by al_cam View Post
                Hi,

Having recently spent nearly 5 days without electricity, I've a bit of experience in this area.

I used a 3kva generator to run my Central Heating;Fridge/freezer;router;TV;Laptop;One light (low energy bulb)
                I could even boil a kettle.

I had to unwire my central heating and shower pump from their fused spurs and wire a plug onto the end, but I was warm, clean and had cold beer.

Overnight I used a 2kw UPS to keep the fridge and central heating running as I didn't want to run the generator all night long. It didn't last the full 8 hours, I guess maybe about 6 or 7 so not bad really.

All my cooking is electric and my microwave didn't like the generator at all so I had to eat out.

It was a huge PITA and I'm currently looking at 6kva generators and switchgear so I can switch the power across.

I think it could be a plan B. I can see power stability being a problem in the medium term.

Al.
                Top man!
                Keep us up to date on your 6kva research- I've seen some useful looking diesels gens around the £2600 mark
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Top man!
                  Keep us up to date on your 6kva research- I've seen some useful looking diesels gens around the £2600 mark
                  Hi,

Fired up and ran my house off a generator this afternoon.
                  Diesels are nice, but for only an occasional power outage, I couldn't really justify the price, plus I wanted something I could take out on Cam acres when I need electricity remotely.
                  I ended up buying one of these - cost a grand. It's nice - Honda engine, mecc-alte alternator and I got the barrow and long run tank options.

Bought this changeover switch to switch manually from mains to generator power. No idea why, but the original enclosure comes with 25mm and 32mm knockouts which are of little use in a domestic situation. I cut them out and fitted 20mm ones but it's a bit carp so I'm going to get a nice MK 4 module enclosure.

The switch is nice - made by control gear - a rail mounted single lever - neatly switches off the mains and connects the generator in one switch. If I had the space in my consumer unit it would be nice to mount it in there. actually, might just buy a bigger consumer unit rather than a separate enclosure...

I just wired the existing meter tails straight into the switch and a new set of tails to the consumer unit. I got a nice bit of 6mm H07 cable, a 32A commando socket and connectors for the generator side.

It works just lovely - ran my microwave just fine which the 3kva generator couldn't do so I tried the oven - again just fine - a wee bit of a dip as the generator revved up in response to the demand but it works fine.

Now I just need some more storms to take out the electricity so I can be a smug b* but sods law says there will never be a power cut again.

Al.
                  Back at the coal face

Comment

My CH pump says 70W on it. I remember my desktop PC used 75W at idle, so at a wild guess a UPS capable of powering a PC and monitor would be quite a good match for running your central heating off.

And surely, local storage is one solution to all the problems and inconsistencies of windmill power generation.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                      Plus it's an inductive load which, I seem to recall, Invertors don't like.
                      I had that on a canal boat. To get the invertor to kick in when you wanted to use the vacuum cleaner, you switched the telly on first.

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                      Me, I just throw another tree in the stove (ok, maybe not at 3:00 am........)
                      Stack of ready chopped logs by the fireplace, surely?

Comment

Working...
                      X