• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

flat lease - rolling monthly

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ASB View Post
    Agree. But the question is surely the notice the tenant may provide? My belief (possibly erroneous) was that this had to end on a period based on the original tenancy period unless there was anything to the contrary.
    The tennant can leave on the last day of the ast with no notice. If no new agreement is signed and the tenant remains in the property beyond the expiry date of the ast he will need to give one months notice from the rent payment date.

Comment

Originally posted by bingobob View Post
      The tennant can leave on the last day of the ast with no notice. If no new agreement is signed and the tenant remains in the property beyond the expiry date of the ast he will need to give one months notice from the rent payment date.
      Since no agreement was signed then it becomes a statutory periodic tenancy. In direct support of your view:-

Ending a tenancy - private renting : Directgov - Home and community

You can end a periodic tenancy (a rolling tenancy when a set term ends) by giving notice at the end of a rent period (at the end of a week or month). You can find details on how to end your tenancy in your tenancy agreement. You can also ask your landlord how to end your tenancy.
      From the CAB it is less clear cut:-

and the tenant should submit a notice to quit as described below:-
      • be in writing; and
      • be for at least 28 days (or, if the tenancy is one in which the rent is paid at longer intervals than this, for example, every three months, the notice should be for that period); and
      expire on the last day or the first day of a complete period of the tenancy, for example, if the first day of a period of a weekly tenancy is a Friday, the notice to quit must expire on a Thursday or a Friday. If a monthly tenancy began on the 20th of the month, the notice to quit must expire on the 19th or 20th of the month. Although the first day of a period of the tenancy may be the same day as the rent is paid, this is not always the case, for example, a weekly tenancy may have started on a Thursday, but the rent day be agreed as the Monday.
      Whilst the examples cite only weekly and monthly examples surely the key is the period of the tenancy. Why would this change from the period originally stipulated in the AST? Though the rent may be paid monthly this doesn't make it a monthly tenancy since rent periods and tenancy periods are different things.

A little searching does turn up quite a few examples and it certainly does seem to be a bone of contention.

In any event the point is quite probably moot since the OP does state it has been renewed 3 times, this kind of implies he has signed a new tenancy agreement each time in which case they will be bound by that.

Comment

Agree. But the question is surely the notice the tenant may provide? My belief (possibly erroneous) was that this had to end on a period based on the original tenancy period unless there was anything to the contrary.
        The actual tenancy agreement defines if, when and how much notice a tenant can or must give during the tenancy.

If it's become a statutory periodic tenancy then the period is the period of the rental payments under the original agreement, as per housing act 1988. The other terms of the tenancy are as per the original agreement so if that required one months notice to end at the end of a rental period then that is what is required. The statutory minimum requirement for a notice to quit is 4 weeks. I haven't seen anything in the various acts that requires a longer period or a specific end date. The reasoning seems to be that as you will need to pay the rent for the period you may as well make the end date the end of the period you have paid for, although it may not strictly be required by the contract.
        Last edited by doodab; 16 January 2012, 16:14.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
          i signed 6month lease longtime ago,
          since then it has been renewed 3times...
          im looking for a new job and asked agency to put me on rolling monthly but they insist that it has to be 6month again ...

electrician told me to ignore what they say and i have right to leave with 1 month after living here for 1+ year ... is thats correct?
          Or you could RTFM instead of asking us ill-informed amateurs?

No, hang on - wait until someone gives you the answer you want, then take that as gospel.

Comment

Originally posted by calacik View Post
            i signed 6month lease longtime ago,
            since then it has been renewed 3times...
            im looking for a new job and asked agency to put me on rolling monthly but they insist that it has to be 6month again ...

electrician told me to ignore what they say and i have right to leave with 1 month after living here for 1+ year ... is thats correct?
            If you have the usual assured shorthold tenancy, then just keep paying your rent. The landlord will then need a Reposession Order from the court to get you out, but if you are up-to-date on the rent and have not broken any other rules, then it is unlikely that he will get one, as there are no 'grounds' as the law puts it.

If the Landlord 'refuses' your rent, then pay it to a proper third party instead to hold. The CAB will sort this for you.

As other contributors have correctly stated, the landlord has to give you two month's notice, but you only have to give him one month.

If you just up and leave with no notice, then the Landlord will probably apply to withhold one month's rent out of your deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              The actual tenancy agreement defines if, when and how much notice a tenant can or must give during the tenancy.

If it's become a statutory periodic tenancy then the period is the period of the rental payments under the original agreement, as per housing act 1988. The other terms of the tenancy are as per the original agreement so if that required one months notice to end at the end of a rental period then that is what is required. The statutory minimum requirement for a notice to quit is 4 weeks. I haven't seen anything in the various acts that requires a longer period or a specific end date. The reasoning seems to be that as you will need to pay the rent for the period you may as well make the end date the end of the period you have paid for, although it may not strictly be required by the contract.
              Essentially then you are saying that the tenancy period that comes into existence with the spt will be governed by the frequency of rental payments in the prior AST. I now agree with that. (I had always read 5.3.(e) differently - and wrongly ).

So in terms of the OPs original question, if he hasn't signed another AST then he can give 1 months notice based on start/end of rental period. If he has signed another AST he will be bound by whatever is in that.

Comment

Essentially then you are saying that the tenancy period that comes into existence with the spt will be governed by the frequency of rental payments in the prior AST. I now agree with that. (I had always read 5.3.(e) differently - and wrongly ).

So in terms of the OPs original question, if he hasn't signed another AST then he can give 1 months notice based on start/end of rental period. If he has signed another AST he will be bound by whatever is in that.
                True, if there is no 'break clause'.
                If he simply does nothing, and continues paying his rent, then the tenancy will just 'roll'. That's the difference between an 'assured shorthold' and a simple 'shorthold', which is intended for people who rent-out their own residence while they are away, but will definitely need it to live in again at the end of the term.

An assured shorthold does not automatically 'chop' at the end... it ends either by mutual consent, or when a Judge says it ends.

The 'Shelter' website is a very good mine for this type of info.

Comment

Working...
                X