• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jack Straw

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe Black
    Isn't that to be expected though?

If you're a CEO, and send people out to negotiate with other companies, you would probably expect them to follow your defined policies and guidelines when negotiating a deal, and certainly not start suggesting you disagree with them or likewise try to force the CEO's hand. Doing otherwise would surely lead to a quick retirement?
    Strictly speaking no, not in the British cabinet style of government. However I readily concede that has been more or less irrelevant since TB came to power and no future PM is likely to be keen to go back to the old ways.
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
      Looks like I wasnt alone in my unease of the sacking of Jack Straw ...

It wouldn't be the first time that the Bush administration has played an important role in persuading Tony Blair to sack his foreign secretary. It was little discussed at the time, but Robin Cook's demotion in 2001 also followed hostile representations from Washington and private expressions of doubt in Downing Street about his ability to work with a Republican administration. Again, there may have been other factors, but of those suggested at the time, none seems convincing. Last week's reshuffle helps to put the episode in a new, revealing context.
      So the answer is to appoint Condoleeza Rice as foreign secretary I guess. After all, cabinet posts don't have to be held by elected MPs.
      I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
        So the answer is to appoint Condoleeza Rice as foreign secretary I guess. After all, cabinet posts don't have to be held by elected MPs.
        Since America sets out foreign policy anyway your idea has merit... and it would get rid of the ugly **** Beckett

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus
          How about a fax machine with a direct line from the white house.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by wendigo100
            I always thought Straw looked out of his depth. Does anyone know of anything good he achieved, said, or was otherwise responsible for while in office? I cannot remember anything offhand.
            He was one of the first to use the phrase "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime". [sound of fingers drumming on desk and tune less whistling as I think of any other "achievements"]

He always struck me as rather wet and pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus
              He was one of the first to use the phrase "Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime". [sound of fingers drumming on desk and tune less whistling as I think of any other "achievements"]

He always struck me as rather wet and pathetic.
              Was it Straw who said that? I wonder what he meant by it?

Straw always looks dumb, as if everything goes on miles outside his intellectual grasp. I much admire Condoleza for pretending to like the useless moron.

Comment

Mmmm, Condi....

Article in the Times today comparing Condi's dress sense:

With dear old Becketts:

Comment

Working...
                X