• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scotland warned it could lose the pound and be forced to join Euro

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Where do you get that idea? It sounds to me as if you are implicitly adopting the doctrine that parliament is sovereign, which in fact is an English doctrine and is not the constitutional position in Scotland. The Act of Union did not change that, because the Union did not consist of Scotland becoming part of England and adopting her laws and constitution.

See for example the judgement in the case of MacCormick v Lord Advocate 1954 in the High Court. (That's the High Court in Edinburgh). Or refer to Mitchell's 'Constitutional Law' (pub. Green and Son, Edinburgh).

To be pedantic, either the Scottish or the English parliament could abrogate the Act of Union (the Scottish Act or the English Act respectively) - but the British parliament has no such power since it is not a party to either of the two Acts of Union. Since there is no English parliament at the moment, that leaves only the Scottish parliament with the right to abrogate the Act of Union.
    If you are going down that route then you might want to look at the legal existence of a Scottish parliament.
    I think the act of union states that Westminster is the only LEGAL government for the whole of the UK. Could be wrong on that one so happy to hear alternative evidence.
    Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

I read somewhere that Scottish independence would much reduce Labour's chances of winning in England again.
      For that reason alone its worth it. Now if only Wales would go too.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I read somewhere that Scottish independence would much reduce Labour's chances of winning in England again.
        It was here

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        There is another added benefit to scotland becoming independant

Labour will lose the 41 westminster seats it currently holds north of the border, The conservatives will lose 0
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I dont know why we are bothering with legal minutiae.

Let the Scots have their independence and let them keep 90% of the Oil. They can have their own currency/join the Euro - call it what they like- have their own central bank. they take on their fair share of the UK debt. They raise their own taxes.
          England can take back its Nuclear bases as required by the Scots, shut down all their public sector offices and relocate them somewhere else that is poor like Birmingham.
          They can then take out their sense of entitlement with their own ruling parties.

I have not seen one single practical reason why it is in the UKs interests to keep Scotland within the Union.
          Even if they leave nothing much is going to change. OK they will have to fund their own infrastructure projects, but at least they will be able to choose what these are.

Shorn of public sector jobs, Nuclear jobs and public subsidies from the UK, What will probably happen is that a Scottish equivalent of a Tory party will emerge and turn Scotland into a Tiger economy. Either way that revolting little man Alex Salmond will be out of power.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
            If you are going down that route then you might want to look at the legal existence of a Scottish parliament.
            I think the act of union states that Westminster is the only LEGAL government for the whole of the UK. Could be wrong on that one so happy to hear alternative evidence.
            Thankfully decisions are based on knowing not thinking.

Regardless of legality it is clearly not appropriate to wave legal black card in the face of people who want change.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Shorn of public sector jobs, Nuclear jobs and public subsidies from the UK, What will probably happen is that a Scottish equivalent of a Tory party will emerge and turn Scotland into a Tiger economy.
              You mean jobs in Scotland will end up on the verge of extinction?
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Why does it make any difference? I can't see there would be much difference if Labour were in power now. Of course if DC were to become more like Maggie.....

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  . Either way that revolting little man Alex Salmond will be out of power.
                  Can't this be done without the break up of the United Kingdom? I am sure it will save a lot of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                    Why would we ban the English from Scotland? We do not hate the English, we simply want to be independent. Why do people automatically take that as meaning hatred.
                    Was intended to be slightly humour-us but after the university funding issue EU students don't pay but UK non Scottish students do it isn't that much of a leap. Also with both sides unable to agree whether Scotland is a cost or profit centre it seems unlikely there is going to be an amicable separation.

You may not personally dislike the English but quite a few do, suggesting the referendum is held on a historical battle date is hardly conciliatory is it?
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Incognito View Post
                      Why would we ban the English from Scotland? We do not hate the English, Some people hate the English, but I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are colonized by wankers. We can't even pick a decent culture to be colonized by. We are ruled by effete arseholes. It's a shite state of affairs and all the fresh air in the world will not make any fucking difference.
                      FTFY
                      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                      X