• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Too expensive to manufacture electronics in UK (RaspberryPi)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
    Explain why you think that is control freak?

I agree with him.

It seems wrong that UK companies have to compete against offshore service providers who are bound to be cheaper. UK industry can not hope to win.
    Particularly when the consumer can not go offshore for the service provided.

Like it or not we have strict labour laws in the UK (and Europe) and it is incredible that large corporations can dodge these by simply using an off shore service.
    And how do you tax what is essentially a phone call from abroad? How exactly do you differentiate between a call from a call centre and your cousin in Madras?

Again its this entitlement thing where we decide to give fathers 6 months paternity leave and our employers are expected to swallow the cost. If the UK chooses to impose costly employment laws then the quid pro quo is that fewer people will be employed. We live in an International market where countries compete with each other to attract investment. Uk businesses are within their absolute right morally and legally to place their business where they like. If this means locating a call centre abroad then so be it.

We Europeans will soon realise that we are not entitled to have our cake and eat it.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Isn't this why people assemble things abroad, import to the UK and stick a badge on or something so they can say "Built in the UK"
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        This isn't a case of "providing a service". It's about manufacturing - actually making stuff, real stuff you can hit with a hammer.

Creating the infrastructure for real industries like this is simply not going to happen in this day and age. Our manufacturing industries have been systematically destroyed by politicians, starting thirty years ago.

The best this country can manage nowadays is providing a few PR types to lie about how wonderful it is that this happened.
        So IT is a soft business then?
        Last edited by DodgyAgent; 11 January 2012, 15:31.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
          The answer is for someone in the UK to manufacture the components locally, having an advantage because imported components are liable to duty and theirs are not.

Comment

Working...
          X