• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Kodak

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to like the lolipop thing. oh and the ukelele, that was good too

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Another part of Kodak up for grabs.

http://www.cinesite.com/showreels/television
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I'm quite sad to hear they may go under. But not sad enough to rush out and buy anything they have for sale.

Anyway, thanks for the memories...

When I think back
        On all the crap I learned in high school
        It's a wonder
        I can think at all
        And though my lack of education
        Hasn't hurt me none
        I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
        They give us those nice bright colors
        They give us the greens of summers
        Makes you think all the world's
        a sunny day
        I got a Nikon camera
        I love to take a photograph
        So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew
        When I was single
        And brought them all together
        for one night
        I know they'd never match
        my sweet imagination
        Everything looks worse
        in black and white

Comment

Kodak's UK pensioners may face fight with creditors - Telegraph

The company has $5.1bn in assets and $6.8bn in debt. "It's going to be long bankruptcy," said Paul Silverstein, a lawyer at Andrews Kurth in New York.

Well of course its going to be long - how else are the lawyers going to get their hands on the $5bn?

Comment

Mismanagement. They had a whole slew of really valuable patents and failed to adapt to changing conditions. Look at all the other old "names" that have adapted; Nikon, Zeiss, Leica etc etc. No-one to blame but the people running the company IMVHO.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
              Mismanagement. They had a whole slew of really valuable patents and failed to adapt to changing conditions. Look at all the other old "names" that have adapted; Nikon, Zeiss, Leica etc etc. No-one to blame but the people running the company IMVHO.
              They all made things that are still around, e.g. lenses, so they didn't need to adapt much. Kodak made something that isn't around in the way that it was, so they really needed to adapt large-scale. Few large companies ever do that. Mostly they just die when their time is up.
              Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                Konika went first and they are older than Kodak.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  Konika went first and they are older than Kodak.
                  And Konica had a long record of innovation (ISTR first TLR, first camera with coated lens, first TTL metering, first autofocus), whereas Kodak mainly had a long record of trying to leverage a lock on the film market with devious ways to sell you less silver for the same money.
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                    And Konica had a long record of innovation (ISTR first TLR, first camera with coated lens, first TTL metering, first autofocus), whereas Kodak mainly had a long record of trying to leverage a lock on the film market with devious ways to sell you less silver for the same money.
                    Lens coatings were Zeiss. The first TLRs predate the first konica cameras. Kodak have a strong record of innovation as well, they actually invented the bayer pattern used to enable colour digital photography.

The big difference is that kodak made most of their money from film, whereas the other companies named make most of their money from cameras & lenses. People buying digital cameras are still buying cameras, but they aren't buying film anymore. Ironically Kodak reacted to this and at one point were #1 in digital camera sales in the US, but they needed to cut other parts of the business while they were still profitable and it was too little too late.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                    X