• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Kodak

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Kodak"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    And Konica had a long record of innovation (ISTR first TLR, first camera with coated lens, first TTL metering, first autofocus), whereas Kodak mainly had a long record of trying to leverage a lock on the film market with devious ways to sell you less silver for the same money.
    Lens coatings were Zeiss. The first TLRs predate the first konica cameras. Kodak have a strong record of innovation as well, they actually invented the bayer pattern used to enable colour digital photography.

The big difference is that kodak made most of their money from film, whereas the other companies named make most of their money from cameras & lenses. People buying digital cameras are still buying cameras, but they aren't buying film anymore. Ironically Kodak reacted to this and at one point were #1 in digital camera sales in the US, but they needed to cut other parts of the business while they were still profitable and it was too little too late.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Konika went first and they are older than Kodak.
    And Konica had a long record of innovation (ISTR first TLR, first camera with coated lens, first TTL metering, first autofocus), whereas Kodak mainly had a long record of trying to leverage a lock on the film market with devious ways to sell you less silver for the same money.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Mismanagement. They had a whole slew of really valuable patents and failed to adapt to changing conditions. Look at all the other old "names" that have adapted; Nikon, Zeiss, Leica etc etc. No-one to blame but the people running the company IMVHO.
    Konika went first and they are older than Kodak.

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Mismanagement. They had a whole slew of really valuable patents and failed to adapt to changing conditions. Look at all the other old "names" that have adapted; Nikon, Zeiss, Leica etc etc. No-one to blame but the people running the company IMVHO.
    They all made things that are still around, e.g. lenses, so they didn't need to adapt much. Kodak made something that isn't around in the way that it was, so they really needed to adapt large-scale. Few large companies ever do that. Mostly they just die when their time is up.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Kodak's UK pensioners may face fight with creditors - Telegraph

The company has $5.1bn in assets and $6.8bn in debt. "It's going to be long bankruptcy," said Paul Silverstein, a lawyer at Andrews Kurth in New York.

Well of course its going to be long - how else are the lawyers going to get their hands on the $5bn?

Leave a comment:

• PRC1964
    replied
    I'm quite sad to hear they may go under. But not sad enough to rush out and buy anything they have for sale.

Anyway, thanks for the memories...

When I think back
    On all the crap I learned in high school
    It's a wonder
    I can think at all
    And though my lack of education
    Hasn't hurt me none
    I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome
    They give us those nice bright colors
    They give us the greens of summers
    Makes you think all the world's
    a sunny day
    I got a Nikon camera
    I love to take a photograph
    So mama don't take my Kodachrome away

If you took all the girls I knew
    When I was single
    And brought them all together
    for one night
    I know they'd never match
    my sweet imagination
    Everything looks worse
    in black and white

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Another part of Kodak up for grabs.

http://www.cinesite.com/showreels/television

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    I used to like the lolipop thing. oh and the ukelele, that was good too

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    It's really the decline of film that did for them. They had an early lead in digital imaging (they actually invented the "bayer array" system that most CCD based imaging systems use) but they should have been much more aggressive in pursuit of the emerging digital imaging market.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Joeman View Post
    For a company with a name as well known as Kodak to go out of business is a testament to not employing enough contractors....
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Joeman
    replied
    For a company with a name as well known as Kodak to go out of business is a testament to poor leadership....

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Kodak's core business is not home photography but is cinematic film and processing.

Cut price movies are often done in HD video.

Leave a comment:

• redgiant
    replied
    I always found it strange they didn't go into memory card production as they had the brand name in film that could be used to get a good section of the market.

Seems they have gone the way of Polariod who did the same back in 2008.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    I read something recently that camera sales were down due to people using their mobile phones but the upshot was SLR sales have been strong guess they made a wrong turn there. Hopefully they'll be able to sell some of their patents

Leave a comment:

Working...
X