• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

$500k US Green Card

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1,000,000 sq feet of office space to let for 1$

Couldn't one just rent this and have the mother of all open plan studio flats, with room for a couple of indoor tennis courts?

As that baddie British officer said in The Patriot, "Tell Me about Iowa"

(There must be a catch though.)
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      (There must be a catch though.)
      $1.5million a year in costs that need to be paid
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        How did you get in then?
        FTV work permit of course - no recruitment agents involved!

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
          is the US contractor friendly ? from an overall money making perspective i thought that it was better to have a job over there due to healthcare costs, 401k pensions etc

i would be interested to know if this wasnt the case
          Hence my asking. As I understand as a single person you may indeed be better off by skipping on insurance etc
          Also opens up the whole US market which isn't tiny.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
            Hence my asking. As I understand as a single person you may indeed be better off by skipping on insurance etc
            Also opens up the whole US market which isn't tiny.
            If you skip on the insurance and you did end up in hospital you could end up bankrupt. My sister is in the US, she told me of a couple who's daughter ended up in hospital for two weeks and they got a 1 million dollar bill; now they're bankrupt. The thing is they don't ask questions they'll just treat you and sort it out afterwards.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              If you skip on the insurance and you did end up in hospital you could end up bankrupt. My sister is in the US, she told me of a couple who's daughter ended up in hospital for two weeks and they got a 1 million dollar bill; now they're bankrupt. The thing is they don't ask questions they'll just treat you and sort it out afterwards.
              And so they should
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

The way it works is, if you have insurance, the hospital sends the bill to the insurance company. The insurance company have well trained operatives who will eventually get the bill down to 20% of the original bill.

If you have no insurance and if you dont query the bill you will get fleeced. I have heard stories of someone admitted for one day for a minor operation and billed 150K. The bill had lots of items for doctor visits that never happened. Upon querying all the items the bill got reduced to 25K ( which in itself is pretty big but that is another matter )
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Always have medical insurance in the US

don’t try your luck by going to the U.S. without adequate hospital insurance. If you don’t have insurance and suddenly need treatment, be prepared for a very bad experience.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

So, is US medical insurance cheaper than around 26% NI tax in UK?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      So, is US medical insurance cheaper than around 26% NI tax in UK?
                      NI has nothing to do with funding the NHS.

NI and income tax go into the same pot and are spent on paying for gold plated public sector pensions. The NHS is paid for by borrowing and printing money.

Comment

Working...
                      X