• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Fat Club

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Well, not in, as I did all this 5 years ago. The challenge is not to lose the weight - that's relatively easy - but to keep it off. I did a ton of research before I started, and it seems that 95% of people who lose weight stick it all back on within a year of reaching their target. Hence why the "slimming industry" makes so much money on a continuing basis.

To cut a long story short: 1) Look to make make permanent changes to your lifestyle. 2) You will never, ever be able to exercise you way out of a bad diet. 3) Healthy eating, three times a day, is the main key to weight loss; be honest with what you've eaten, don't cheat. 4) Integrate exercise into your life - gym fanatics don't stay that way for long. 5) Invest in a decent, semi-pro set of scales and use them once a week; do not kid yourself that you can get away without them - they are a very humbling, yet honest, experience.

Using the above advice, and lot's of research on food, I managed to wipe off 4 1/2 stone that I'd been "carrying around" for well over a decade. It took about six months. But the best part is I've never put that weight back on: I still use the same set of expensive scales I bought back then and stick to the same diet/exercise routine (lunch each day is always a salad with some cold meat and some fruit, and I go for a gentle run 8k-10k, twice a week.) And I have to say, physically - and mentally - I feel better than I did 20 years ago.

That's my advice from the trenches, FWIW.
    Good advice - whatever you go for has got to be maintainable long term - ideal if you can fit it in to your daily schedule without too much disruption.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
      Good advice - whatever you go for has got to be maintainable long term - ideal if you can fit it in to your daily schedule without too much disruption.
      I had two summers on the row on the bench, where I made a point of going cycling for an hour to an hour and a half more or less every day. But it never seemed to make any difference to the bit of extra flab I had, or get much easier.

But this year I ended up taking a permie job, where I try to take the train 3 or 4 times a week, which means on those days I walk about 4 miles (although I frequently stop in at the pub on the way home). And I've definitely lost weight, and feel much fitter too. I don't know how much but I've had to throw out my 36" waist jeans and buy 34" again.

So my advice would be, if you want to lose weight, forget about proper sweaty out of breath exercise, and go permie.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I can lose weight but I put it back on quickly. I used to be under weight up until my 30s. When I am on holiday having a Mediterranean diet and eating more; I lose weight, this correlates with what I used to eat before my 30s; good home made food. Veg straight from the garden and no packet foods, meat from the butcher, not frozen or pre wrapped. If you are eating food rammed with hormones, antibiotics and steroids, they are bound to make you put on weight.

BTW BTW, I have always done a lot of walking, swimming etc, and exercise makes me feel better but does not lose me weight.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I can't cook, and I eat far too many takeaways. Mealtimes are complicated by daughter being veggie.

They were talking about this website on telly this morning, so I wrote down a few recipes and hit Tesco.

Just done the stir fry - thumbs up from all the family. Not as nice as a MaccyD's though.

Tomorrow is pasta and sweet potato.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            I can't cook, and I eat far too many takeaways. Mealtimes are complicated by daughter being veggie.

They were talking about this website on telly this morning, so I wrote down a few recipes and hit Tesco.

Just done the stir fry - thumbs up from all the family. Not as nice as a MaccyD's though.

Tomorrow is pasta and sweet potato.
            Six hour trip back from Devon. Was supposed to take 3.5 hours, followed by a trip to the Gym.

Now it's a six hour trip, me with a headache & sore arse, opened a bottle of wine and ordered a curry. I'll start tomorrow.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

2 hr journey back to Surrey/Hants borders from Northants. Early afternoon, motorways not too manic

Comment

I'm in.

No specific targets on pounds or inches, but seeing those values decrease would be nice.
                I'm not even a fattie, but I am a slim guy with the start of a paunch... everything else is just fine but the weight has simply been very slowly increasing and all in that area, for probably the last 8 years... about 2 stone over the skinny whippet who graduated university.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I'm on my way with this regime...

Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

Don't think I've lost any weight yet, but nothing beats the feeling of achievement when you get up at 6am in the pissing rain to go and get your exercise. Really sets up the day.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    I'm on my way with this regime...

Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan

Don't think I've lost any weight yet, but nothing beats the feeling of achievement when you get up at 6am in the pissing rain to go and get your exercise. Really sets up the day.
                    I bought a running machine. It's never rained on me once. Nothing beats the feeling.
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

... So my advice would be, if you want to lose weight, forget about proper sweaty out of breath exercise, and go permie.
                      Not if your job would involve many visits to customer sites, staying in flash hotels, eating full English breakfasts and decent dinners, and running up bar bills, all on expenses!
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X