• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CUK Fat Club

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in, need to lose a stone or five!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Posting on CUK (fingers crossed)

More, or less?
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        I'm up for this too. I have already made a start.
        Fat git..last time I saw something like you it had a harpoon in it
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Breakfast:

Paracetamol and black coffee anyone? zero calories...!

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            Breakfast:

Paracetamol and black coffee anyone? zero calories...!
            I'd add some pineapple and celery to that. That will give you a -ve result. Then treat yourself to a massive fryup which will result in a +ve result. So that's a net 0 result. Everyones a winner.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Anyone fancy joining me to lose a pound or twenty of lard?

Need to shift at least a stone. Two wouldn't go amiss.

Not into dieting or self deprivation. But sensible eating, cutting out the crap and doing more excercise can't be that hard, can it? And maybe a bit of moderation on the vino too.
              Well, not in, as I did all this 5 years ago. The challenge is not to lose the weight - that's relatively easy - but to keep it off. I did a ton of research before I started, and it seems that 95% of people who lose weight stick it all back on within a year of reaching their target. Hence why the "slimming industry" makes so much money on a continuing basis.

To cut a long story short: 1) Look to make make permanent changes to your lifestyle. 2) You will never, ever be able to exercise you way out of a bad diet. 3) Healthy eating, three times a day, is the main key to weight loss; be honest with what you've eaten, don't cheat. 4) Integrate exercise into your life - gym fanatics don't stay that way for long. 5) Invest in a decent, semi-pro set of scales and use them once a week; do not kid yourself that you can get away without them - they are a very humbling, yet honest, experience.

Using the above advice, and lot's of research on food, I managed to wipe off 4 1/2 stone that I'd been "carrying around" for well over a decade. It took about six months. But the best part is I've never put that weight back on: I still use the same set of expensive scales I bought back then and stick to the same diet/exercise routine (lunch each day is always a salad with some cold meat and some fruit, and I go for a gentle run 8k-10k, twice a week.) And I have to say, physically - and mentally - I feel better than I did 20 years ago.

That's my advice from the trenches, FWIW.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Sounds like a sensible target. What are you going to change to achieve it?
                No cake, no chocolate, no sweets. Exercise twice a week at least. That should do it.
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Last edited by sasguru mutant clone bot; 26 April 2014, 18:09.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru mutant clone bot View Post
                    !!/................................Beginning of transmission--

My power-regulator circuits ensure that I only consume the correct amount of energy for the task(s) I am performing. Therefore I do not get "fat".

--End of transmission................................/!!
                    And that, my friends, sums up the goal. Although for a while one has to consume slightly less in order to lose the fat acquired.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                      Well, not in, as I did all this 5 years ago. The challenge is not to lose the weight - that's relatively easy - but to keep it off. I did a ton of research before I started, and it seems that 95% of people who lose weight stick it all back on within a year of reaching their target. Hence why the "slimming industry" makes so much money on a continuing basis.

To cut a long story short: 1) Look to make make permanent changes to your lifestyle. 2) You will never, ever be able to exercise you way out of a bad diet. 3) Healthy eating, three times a day, is the main key to weight loss; be honest with what you've eaten, don't cheat. 4) Integrate exercise into your life - gym fanatics don't stay that way for long. 5) Invest in a decent, semi-pro set of scales and use them once a week; do not kid yourself that you can get away without them - they are a very humbling, yet honest, experience.

Using the above advice, and lot's of research on food, I managed to wipe off 4 1/2 stone that I'd been "carrying around" for well over a decade. It took about six months. But the best part is I've never put that weight back on: I still use the same set of expensive scales I bought back then and stick to the same diet/exercise routine (lunch each day is always a salad with some cold meat and some fruit, and I go for a gentle run 8k-10k, twice a week.) And I have to say, physically - and mentally - I feel better than I did 20 years ago.

That's my advice from the trenches, FWIW.

Totally agree.

Another thing is looking at your portion sizes, we're often very guilty of putting way too much on our plates without realising the damage to our guts.

If possible try and eat earlier and limit the amount of carbs you have in the evening. Often having your main meal in the middle of the day is a good way of doing it.

I've managed to shift over a stone since I moved to cloggers just by being a bit more mindful about what I eat, and have managed to keep it off. If you restrict yourself and don't have the odd treat then you'll overeat when you do have summat nice.

Next phase is starting on the exercise, so am looking at joining the local badminton club and seeing what other activities that I can get involved in that I enjoy.

I've found over here people don't obsess about weight loss and food which is refreshing. I found that in the UK you're constantly aware of what you eat and drink, what you can't eat and drink and there's always several people that you know that are on a diet of some sort.

If you make the exercise a chore then you will resent it
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X