• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cars............

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I always recommend the Nissan Micra to everybody who is looking for a new car.
    go with the micra everytime surely all those Asians and old people can't all be wrong

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Also, 911 and GTR are not diesel. These are 20 MPG cars.

You need you decide, do you want a tractor engine or not?
      Already decided hence the Diesel comment...

============================================

The 911 / GTR would be nice, but just not usable... people try to bill th GTR as 4 seat as opposed to 2+2

Mirca / focus...... refined & sporty?

Not thought of a S5 sportback anyone got any experience of these?

Quattroporte - potentially too rich for my blood

Q7 - HHHHUUUUGGGGEEEE

Comment

Originally posted by aceboy View Post
        Criteria

4 usable seats - (2 are used by adults 20% of the time)
        Decent size boot
        Refined - for long distance
        Sporty - for Sunday blasts
        Ideally Diesel

BMW 335d.

0-60 in ~6.0 seconds. Averages 42mpg. Get it mapped and it's faster than anything else on the road apparently.

The older model 330d was good too, won Evo car of the year back in the day. Not owned one but a contractor I worked with did. Sounds pretty good for a diesel too as anything above the 320d is 6 cylinder.

Possibly the only range of diesels I'd consider owning.
        Last edited by PAH; 9 December 2011, 10:58.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          BMW 335d.

0-60 in ~6.0 seconds. Averages 42mpg. Get it mapped and it's faster than anything else on the road apparently.

The older model 330d was good too, won Evo car of the year back in the day. Not owned one but a contractor I worked with did. Sounds pretty good for a diesel too as anything above the 320d is 6 cylinder.

Possibly the only range of diesels I'd consider owning.
          Tis a great car technically, but maybe just too common on the roads? 911/GTR is a conversation piece, but a 3 series is just a middle management hack car really.

Comment

Tis a great car technically, but maybe just too common on the roads? 911/GTR is a conversation piece, but a 3 series is just a middle management hack car really.
            More common than a Mondeo
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              probably but the top skyline was the GTR model......

in either V Spec or N Spec mode!

Yeah.... 1 x R32GTR, 4 x R33GTR and 1 x R34GTR... not the new one yet though

Awesome cars for the money. I'd recommend an R34 GTR anyday, 4 useable seats, reliable as a swiss watch and rare and hens teeth. Can be head for under £20K too...

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                I always recommend the Nissan Micra to everybody who is looking for a new car.
                A mate of mine has one as his daily car, now that he's not doing massive commutes.

Aston Martin to Mercedes to Micra
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
                  How about a lovely Focus Ghia Turbo Diesel with velour seats?

I happen to have a second hand one as am living the permie dream and going for a Hyundai instead.....
                  But the passenger and back seats will be covered in eggy man fat from the many dates Wilmslow has been on recently. Pay's your money you takes your chance with this love wagon.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How about a Jaguar XF Portfolio 3.0 V6 Diesel

That's the top spec diesel model. Nice interior, loads of space and gadgets.

3.0 diesel engine 2009 onwards has 271 bhp and 440 torques.

Jaguar XF 3.0D S full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear

Very low mileage cars are about £25K.

Comment

How about a Jaguar XF Portfolio 3.0 V6 Diesel

The early ones are fugly from the front.

When did the facelifted headlights come to the saloon that started on the coupe? Too recent so still depreciating lots?

Besides, if going for a Jag may as well get an Aston V8 Vantage. What you spend in buying (IIRC early ones are not much over £30k now) you'll save in it depreciating less or slower.

There must be a hard floor that prices will never drop below, being one of the best looking and image positive cars you can buy. MPG and servicing costs probably best brushed under the carpet though.

Edit: 'rear seats' may be a problem
                      Last edited by PAH; 9 December 2011, 13:22.
                      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                      Feist - I Feel It All
                      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                      X