• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Balancing the radiators

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    You didn't say what fuel you're burning.
    If Solid then you'll find that the Bathroom towel-rail and possibly another radiator is on the same circuit as your hot cylinder and shouldn't be turned off under any circumstances.

I certainly wouldn't turn off all radiators unless I had a clear idea of the topology of the pipework.
    If there were no bypass you could damage the circulating pump.
    Gas.

It's a combi boiler so no hot water cylinder.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      *Positively* shocking ITYF.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

I'd phone the letting agent/landlord and say:

"Your central heating doesn't work properly, I suspect it never has. Can you call a heating engineer asap to see what can be done, perhaps adding some rad thermostats and a room thermostat. Thanks"

If it isn't fixed within a few days, I'm sorry I'd be calling one out myself, and deducting the cost from the rent.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          I have bled them, as a precursor to balancing them. I did say this in the OP. They are currently cold pending me switching the boiler on and figuring out which order they are in.

The problem that I have is that the house is very unevenly heated. It's rented and it seems whomever fitted the central heating system left half of it out, so there is no overall thermostat and the radiators don't have thermostatic valves on. This means we have to manually adjust the flow temperature up and down to maintain a comfortable temperature.

INKSPE
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Hmm, it seems that the lack of controls might actually be in violation of the building regulations.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Hmm, it seems that the lack of controls might actually be in violation of the building regulations.

Get a job you layabout!

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

Get a job you layabout!
                Aren't you looking for someone to install oracle for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                  there should not be a thermostat\valve on the bathroom rad, normally these are the end off the system and should be hot all the time when the boiler is on, is it cold at the top and warm at the bottom this would show it wants bleeding, also its always best to bleed all the radiators normally downstairs first then moving up upstairs and finishing with the bathroom rad assuming your bathroom is upstairs

If its not getting up to temperature when the rest of the system is on full blast the rad needs flushing or for the cost of a new one just change it
                  The bathroom rad in one house had the bleed valve a bit too low for the inlet pipe. so you couldn't actually get all the air out above that.

Had to bleed it every week. A new radiator would have been the real solution.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Aren't you looking for someone to install oracle for you?
                    Yes you can be my Oracle bitch.

Is your rate still the same or is it now two twixes and a hand shandy?

Comment

Working...
                    X