• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So who's been contracting the longest?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
    Almost 6 years.

So obviously I have to make everyones coffee/tea/fetch beer if I ever go to a CUK do.
    4.5 Years here, so looks like I'll be getting the teas and coffees.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
      This leads to anther question, is there an upper age limit that contractors start to become sidelined.
      Not if you bag a niche skill... still lots of COBOL people around for example. Or not even niche, but mainstream now that dies out and becomes niche... even C++/MFC/Win32 could go that way pretty soon.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
        I don't think there is an age limit, their employing your services not you, you will be out the door with cheque in hand a long time before they realise you need an afternoon nap you have tartan rug under the desk and you smell of piss and biscuits
        I normally ask about their afternoon nap policy before we discuss rates.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

We had on old bloke on contract once at one place, he was useless!

Claimed he wrote this developed that (things you'd heard about) but his vi skills were pants!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

Claimed he wrote this developed that (things you'd heard about) but his vi skills were pants!
            We had a chap like that, and his claim to fame was a database book he'd written.

Pretty useless technically, but he was such a thoroughly nice chap that we helped him out.

Oh, 26 years here, with a dreadful permie year when things were bad in the early nineties. That year convinced me that I never wanted to work for someone else ever again, and left me so broke that I couldn't afford not to go back to contracting. Remarkably debt free ever since.
            Last edited by Sysman; 2 December 2011, 13:14.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              32 years here.
              Straight run of 23 years unbroken for me.

My permie boss gave me the benefit of his "wisdom" as I left: "It'll never work out. Contracting never does!"

One day, I'll find out if he was right.
              nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post

That's what I love most about contracting: The completely stupid interview questions...

EDIT: :%s/permie/wannkers/g
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

4-6 weeks in total so far.

Comment

23 years.

That's 161 doggy years.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
                      Straight run of 23 years unbroken for me.

My permie boss gave me the benefit of his "wisdom" as I left: "It'll never work out. Contracting never does!"

One day, I'll find out if he was right.
                      Yep, I had the same from a previous permie boss when I started.
                      1. he didn't understand the difference between self employed and contracting through an agency
                      2. he grossly underestimated what I was making
                      3. he reckoned I'd go back to permie after a year or two

I kept my gob shut.
                      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                      X