• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are we more conservative?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we more conservative?

Some recent posts have got me wondering; are we more or less conservative than in previous years?
    Prima facie I'd have to say we are less conservative; men and women walk the streets wearing next to nothing, films, plays and TV programmes are ever more explicit, hardly anyone is upset by sex outside of marriage.
    However, there is also a trend of growing conservativism. A good example of this is the incident some years back when that newsreader was arrested after taking photos of her children playing in the bath to Boots for development.

As a nation we seem increasingly unable to exercise common sense and make our own judgements; everything is prescribed and legislated. Watching certain films or playing games are blamed for any act of crime or deviance.

What do others think?

plays and TV programmes are ever more explicit
    I'm not sure about that. You get more reality bollox with birds desperate for "fame" getting their tits out for the braindead masses, but things like "I, Claudius" and "The Singing Detective" were just as racey in their time, if not more so, than today's programmes.

On the other hand, the TV portrayal of violence has gone completely the other way. You could not show a programme with the violence content of "The Sweeney" in an 8 o'clock slot now, but you can show "Casualty", presumably because that's "reality" gore and violence.

Weird.

At the end of the day, "it's not my fault, it's the government / school / society / voices in my head" that are to blame.

Comment

"I, Claudius" and "The Singing Detective" were just as racey in their time, if not more so, than today's programmes
      Maybe but "I, Claudius" didn't feature full frontal nudity. And 'mainstream' films didn't feature real sex like 'Nine Songs'.

I'm not disputing what you are saying, I'm just exploring an idea.

Comment

As a nation we seem increasingly unable to exercise common sense and make our own judgements; everything is prescribed and legislated.
        It sometimes appears to me that the only youngsters learning how to use their initiative are chavs, yobbos and feral kids.

Comment

Working...
        X