• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question Time last night

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Do you think reducing the pay of executives is going to help the economy? Of course it isn't. Therefore I don't care what they earn, it doesn't affect me.

And what exactly do these protesters want to do? Maximum wage? 90% taxation? Some new body setting remuneration for every person as it sees fit? I could sympathise if they proposed a return to regulations that curbed fiscal mismanagement or some other practical measure, but not pointless envy.

On the other hand, if anyone thinks they are worth the same as executives, let them go out and prove it. Go and earn more. Go and run a company and employ people. Be responsible for perhaps hundreds, perhaps thousands of people. Manufacture things. That would be a lot more useful than just whingeing from the sidelines about other people's good fortune.

A man after my own heart.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Before I go down this one, I personally fully endorse the model that IT contractors are paid

If you bothered to read what I said you will find that I agree with you. nI was merely pointing out the hypocrisy of mr Peoplesoft
      I did read it, I even provided an example of what I thought you agreed with.
      I just took issue with your "could be argued". I do not see how you could argue that what I/we do is somehow not valuable.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        Not really true - income distribution is far wider than it was in the 1950s. We're back at a peak of income distribution skew that hasn't been seen since the late 1920s. Remember what happened after that?
        The problem with concentrating too much wealth in the hands of the few is that it reduces the velocity of money.

I wish there was a better way to correct this than depression.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          I did read it, I even provided an example of what I thought you agreed with.
          I just took issue with your "could be argued". I do not see how you could argue that what I/we do is somehow not valuable.

The point is, nobody is really worth what they get paid. A local authority chief exec on £150,000 per year is not worth 5 times as much to society as a senior nurse on £30,000 per year, and a banker on £1,500,000 per year is not worth 10 times as much to society as a local authority chief exec. The way that the market values people is badly out-of-synch with the actual value they create. This is because we've allowed the system to get badly distorted. What's needed is for a comprehensive review of our whole value-system as a society and a re-aligning of the rules of law/economy/policy to reinforce and encourage whatever we work out to be our values. Of course, this is extremely unlikely to happen because there are very powerful vested interests who will do all they can to ensure that nothing upsets their cosy position at the top of the pile where they keep grabbing all the wealth for themselves regardless of the negative effect that has on the majority of people.

It's amazing enough that people put up with bankers & chief-execs getting paid millions for their "work" in the so-called "boom years" (that were really just a false illusion), but I just can't understand how the general public appear to have rolled-over and accepted the continuing rewards-for-failure paid to bankers out of taxpayers money.

It was one of you lot that said this not one of us. Reading it I would imagine that some of the first in line to fall foul with this argument (sorry diatribe of entitlement) would be IT contractors
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            The problem with concentrating too much wealth in the hands of the few is that it reduces the velocity of money.

I wish there was a better way to correct this than depression.
            Which is what the debate should be about. The fact is that the whole debate is a front line of argument between the right and the left instead of being any practical discussion about what in my view is a very real problem.

Comment

The point is, nobody is really worth what they get paid. A local authority chief exec on £150,000 per year is not worth 5 times as much to society as a senior nurse on £30,000 per year, and a banker on £1,500,000 per year is not worth 10 times as much to society as a local authority chief exec. The way that the market values people is badly out-of-synch with the actual value they create. This is because we've allowed the system to get badly distorted. What's needed is for a comprehensive review of our whole value-system as a society and a re-aligning of the rules of law/economy/policy to reinforce and encourage whatever we work out to be our values. Of course, this is extremely unlikely to happen because there are very powerful vested interests who will do all they can to ensure that nothing upsets their cosy position at the top of the pile where they keep grabbing all the wealth for themselves regardless of the negative effect that has on the majority of people.

It's amazing enough that people put up with bankers & chief-execs getting paid millions for their "work" in the so-called "boom years" (that were really just a false illusion), but I just can't understand how the general public appear to have rolled-over and accepted the continuing rewards-for-failure paid to bankers out of taxpayers money.

It was one of you lot that said this not one of us. Reading it I would imagine that some of the first in line to fall foul with this argument (sorry diatribe of entitlement) would be IT contractors
              and I would argue otherwise.

As I said and I think you agree that what you earn is dependant on how many others can do it and then on how much wealth it generates.

When a CEO turns a business around then he is worth the difference, but we seem to have a generation of fat cats who think that because the last guy earned 1 mill so should they. They also seem to feel they are entitled to golden handshakes even though they have presided over a disaster.

I also agree with the earlier poster that bankers profits in earlier years are somewhat of an illusion.
              Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                However I can't understand why people like Fred Goodwin aren't in prison for almost causing financial collapse, his income was high because he was responsible for a large bank, so he should be made to take responsibility of the problems his bank has caused.
                Because stupidity isn't against the law, if it was you'd be in prison along with all the other sockies on here!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
                  and I would argue otherwise.

As I said and I think you agree that what you earn is dependant on how many others can do it and then on how much wealth it generates.

When a CEO turns a business around then he is worth the difference, but we seem to have a generation of fat cats who think that because the last guy earned 1 mill so should they. They also seem to feel they are entitled to golden handshakes even though they have presided over a disaster.

I also agree with the earlier poster that bankers profits in earlier years are somewhat of an illusion.
                  I am not arguing it from your or my point of view. However what effing difference is it going to make for a few highly paid CEOs to be made more accountable for their performances? They along with bankers pay are a red herring with regards to what is wrong with this country. Apart from anything else your comments on exec pay are sweeping anecdotes picked out of the press. Either we have a table that judges "worth" in what people do for everyone or not at all. And I am afraid that in the context of valuing what people do then contractors will come under more serious scrutiny than any other type of job.

Comment

Probably because 90% of the general public are ******* numpties who couldn't wipe their own arse if they weren't shown how.
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Reading it I would imagine that some of the first in line to fall foul with this argument (sorry diatribe of entitlement) would be IT contractors
                      Agreed. We're on shaky ground kicking up a fuss about bankers when the public would put us in the same boat as them... especially those of us on £500+/day AT the banks.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X