• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next Weeks Public Sector Strikes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most teachers work pretty hard, with various results affected by all kinds of stuff.

But whatever, I don't support public sector strikes to protect current pension rights.

I would sympathise with older employees if they were suddenly told they had lost 20/30-years worth of financial planning and it is too late for them to make up their fund shortfall, but as I understand it the proposed new rules mitigate the change for older employees.

The bottom line is that total pension liabilities in the UK are unaffordable. Private sector workers are buying their own pensions out of a lower average wage than the public sector, and pay through their taxes for public sector pensions as well. So if they have no choice but to accept less, so should the public sector.

Comment

just been told contractors have to take the day off as no other fecker will be in work on wednesday so we shouldn't have anything to do

no consideration of the 3 "must have project's" i've got to deliver before xmas - straight onto the issue log

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
        just been told contractors have to take the day off as no other fecker will be in work on wednesday so we shouldn't have anything to do

no consideration of the 3 "must have project's" i've got to deliver before xmas - straight onto the issue log
        Good for IR35 though
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I love teacher training days, funny though i have never been to the garage and its closed due to mechanic training day or popped into sainsburys to find it closed due to checkout training day

you get my drift

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I would sympathise with older employees if they were suddenly told they had lost 20/30-years worth of financial planning and it is too late for them to make up their fund shortfall, but as I understand it the proposed new rules mitigate the change for older employees.
            You understand wrong, then. Or define older as something different than I do.

My sister (who isn't striking next week) has been paying in the maximum allowed for over 20 years now, with a target retirement date, which has now been shifted by another ten years. She can't pay in any more than she already has done, because she's maxed out.

So having budgeted carefully, saved, planned for the retirement in 13 years time, she's now got to work 23 more years until she can retire on the same pension.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I don't know about your sister's age group, but any public sector worker (not just teachers) within ten years of retirement will not incur any increase in their retirement age or reduction in the pension payments they will receive.

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post

Feck that.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Really, on £26k or whatever it is? And it's not 12 weeks off, it's 12 weeks not in the class-room. You're still expected to do some work.
                  like what?
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    like what?
                    Actually I know teachers who work in the public sector who are made to come in during their summer holidays. They are made to do the paperwork (given to them by the government) the head doesn't want to do while s/he swans off on a long haul holiday.

While it's hard to sack teachers, headteachers do have tricks up their sleeves to get rid of teachers they don't like and they have used them for years.

It's basically telling the person that they are sh*t, giving them all the pupils that are disruptive or can turn disruptive* and then getting them reviewed/lessons sat in by senior staff members constantly.

Another way of getting rid of sh*t teachers is to get funding from the latest government initiative i.e. at the moment turning the school into an academy and then have a restructuring.

And that's just qualified teachers some people never qualify due to these tactics.

*A trick my class used at school and we managed to get rid of a teacher after 1.5 terms of being disruptive. Oddly when we had another teacher doing cover even if they were a slacker in discipline we behaved. Children can be very nasty if a teacher isn't up to the job.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      While it's hard to sack teachers, headteachers do have tricks up their sleeves to get rid of teachers they don't like and they have used them for years.
                      If they aren't on a permanent contract, then it's much easier to get rid.
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X