• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin Trains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    Or live in Colchester & get your employer / Client to pay for it: worked for me
    Are you an MP?

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Station Murthy View Post
      Are you an MP?
      An MP!! I don’t think I have ever been so insulted !!

Nope I am a permie QS, I normally drive to the project but this one has no parking, therefore I had to train, therefore work paid for it
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

An MP!! I don’t think I have ever been so insulted !!

Nope I am a permie QS, I normally drive to the project but this one has no parking, therefore I had to train, therefore work paid for it
        What were you before you got promoted?

(Apart from an Essex girl that is before anyone says it)

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          What were you before you got promoted?

KUATB

I got my promotion: was assistant QS & now Project QS: better than expected on the cash front & managed a car grade increase too
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I can’t refute that I am an Essex girl geographically, but thankfully not mentally or spiritually
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Actually you can get a two sets of 1st class singles for four people for £222 all in.

So that's four people travelling from Sheffield to London this Saturday and return journey, first classs for £222.

If you strolled up to the counter on the day it's £400.

For £400 you could buy a car, fill it with fuel and set fire to it on arrival
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Yearly Fair

I pay the eye watering £7500 per annum to have the pleasure of train travel (and £1100 for car parking).

Only good thing is that if your train is over 30 mins late, you can make a claim - by December I have enogh usually for a month of first class (£1200) which is nice for a change.

Next April the 24 month rule will kick in. Ouch!!

Train Fares are seriously confusing - every day, the ticket inspector is informing people that the overly complex named ticket is not valid and you owe me £150. Ouch!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Many train companies are cracking down on people doing this. Same as getting off at a station before your ticket (e.g. buy a ticket London to Edinburgh and get off in Newcastle often works out cheaper than London to Newcastle).
                  I used to do this when I was travelling a lot from Manchester to London. I could knock a good 50 quid off the total price by buying separate tickets between stations along the way, and staying on the same train.

I did notice that on the return journey the same service stopped at different stations, so I couldn't get split return tickets, if you know what I mean.

But the return journey was much cheaper anyway, so that wasn't a problem.

The ticket inspectors never challenged me. I'm not quite sure how they could impose the rule anyway. Can't you just say your plans changed after you'd already bought one ticket, so you just bought another one to go on to your new destination?

It's all mental anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                    For £400 you could buy a car, fill it with fuel and set fire to it on arrival
                    Top Tip:

Don't try to claim on the insurance every time you do this.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

£7500 for train tickets?

Cheap. Buy a decent luxury motor and you'll be spending more than that on depreciation every year.

Comment

Working...
                      X