• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Virgin Trains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    As others have said, driving is a cheaper option - I've done that myself on a weekly basis for a couple of contracts amounting to about 4 years. But I don't find that a 3 to 4 hour monday drive is the best way to start a week.
    I've driven to Milton Keynes (from Manchester) before and got the train from there. It worked out ok and a lot cheaper
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
      Actually No! Check thetrainline.com. I've checked the peak hour trains out of Manchester for Monday and Tuesday departures as far out into the future as you are allowed to book and with the exception of the week between christmas and new year, when they have a holiday timetable running, ALL peak time trains are £183 out of Manchester. The 5:05 train is the only exception and that is the one I tend to use as prices start at £77 However leaving London, they do offer cheaper prices when booking in advance, down to £59 I think.

As others have said, driving is a cheaper option - I've done that myself on a weekly basis for a couple of contracts amounting to about 4 years. But I don't find that a 3 to 4 hour monday drive is the best way to start a week.
      Just did a quick check (might have cocked it up) but a single MAN Pic to Rugby at 7:15 is 41 quid then rugby to London after 9:15 is between 19 and 40. The entire journey on 1 ticket is 129.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
        Just did a quick check (might have cocked it up) but a single MAN Pic to Rugby at 7:15 is 41 quid then rugby to London after 9:15 is between 19 and 40. The entire journey on 1 ticket is 129.
        Many train companies are cracking down on people doing this. Same as getting off at a station before your ticket (e.g. buy a ticket London to Edinburgh and get off in Newcastle often works out cheaper than London to Newcastle).
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

as already said rail fares are a complete joke !

the other month i decided to take our 2 year old to the Natural History Museum on a Saturday for the day as he loves dinosaurs, so i thought we'd make a day of it and travel down on the train from Sheffield, so booking over 1 week in advance, travelling off peak on a Saturday it was still going to be £130 EACH return!! we could drive and stay in a hotel for less that that for 2 adults!

No incentive at all to get off the roads and onto public transport!

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
            Everyone knows walkup fares are a total rip off. Booking just one day in advance would have saved you about half.
            WHS.

You only buy the ticket at the station if it's an emergency. Otherwise you buy online and save at least 50% sometimes more like 75%.

Fool!

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
              as already said rail fares are a complete joke !

the other month i decided to take our 2 year old to the Natural History Museum on a Saturday for the day as he loves dinosaurs, so i thought we'd make a day of it and travel down on the train from Sheffield, so booking over 1 week in advance, travelling off peak on a Saturday it was still going to be £130 EACH return!! we could drive and stay in a hotel for less that that for 2 adults!

No incentive at all to get off the roads and onto public transport!
              I just used TheTrainLine.com for 2 adults and 2 children return fare Sheffield to London no changes (direct train) for this coming Saturday and total cost (return fares) is £190 for all four people. That's a Super Off Peak ticket with return within one month.

Comment

Imagine how it is for the permies who aren't on £600+ like you guys and can't write these off as expenses.
                Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Originally posted by doomage View Post
                  Imagine how it is for the permies who aren't on £800+ like you guys and can't write these off as expenses.
                  ftfy
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Actually you can get a two sets of 1st class singles for four people for £222 all in.

So that's four people travelling from Sheffield to London this Saturday and return journey, first classs for £222.

If you strolled up to the counter on the day it's £400.

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                      OR... just don't live in Colchester??
                      Or live in Colchester & get your employer / Client to pay for it: worked for me
                      Growing old is mandatory
                      Growing up is optional

Comment

Working...
                      X