• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK will ultimately join euro says Lord Heseltine

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the UK were to leave the EU, the prime minister to do it would make a big fanfare, and then nothing would change. The only difference is that when they introduce all the EU legislation they just say it was as a result of their "free trade" negotiations. I see this in Switzerland there are just as many EU sceptics in Switzerland railing against the Swiss EU legislation as there are in the UK. The reason why Switzerland has to do it is to make sure they sell their stuff to Europe.

...and what is the main benefit of the one thing the Swiss have opted out, the EU agricultural policy? you pay 3 times the price for basic food stuffs at the supermarket, and a small fraction of the Swiss get huge subsidies from the Swiss government, even after you've paid an extortinate amount for the stuff they produce.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 November 2011, 10:02.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Will it be called the Worldo? Or the Eartho? Or perhaps the Mondo?
      . . . or the Yuan?
      The vegetarian option.

Comment

A lot of what is blamed on the EU, in particular the human rights stuff, is actually due to the council of Europe, which is a different organisation altogether.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          That's complete and utter nonsense, they have even signed up to "Schengen", i.e. no passport control now at the borders, which the UK doesn't have, and any EU citizen can just go and live there. Switzerland is in all but name in the EU. They've implemented virtually everything. They've even pegged their currency to the Euro and are spending billions maintaining that peg, which makes a mockery of the argument they save money because they don't have to contribute to proppping up the Euro....they do! Like the UK they have certain exceptions such as protection on their agriculture.

I'm all in favour of having a debate about Europe, it's just sceptics don't understand how Europe works or how countries outside the EU relate to it.
          Sometimes I think BB that you are a bit of a dopey idiot. The whole point of where the sceptics are coming from is laid bare by the Swiss. That point is that Switzerland can do whatever it likes with its currency. Right now pegging it to the Euro means that it will not become too expensive and therefore price Switzerland out of export markets. You and the other pro euro fanatics will pick up any thread that suits your pro euro agenda. Switzerland by preserving its independence can take or leave the Euro or any other currency for that matter when it suits them.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            Sometimes I think BB that you are a bit of a dopey idiot. The whole point of where the sceptics are coming from is laid bare by the Swiss. That point is that Switzerland can do whatever it likes with its currency. Right now pegging it to the Euro means that it will not become too expensive and therefore price Switzerland out of export markets. You and the other pro euro fanatics will pick up any thread that suits your pro euro agenda. Switzerland by preserving its independence can take or leave the Euro or any other currency for that matter when it suits them.
            Having hundreds of tonnes of :nazi: Gold helps...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Will it be called the Worldo? Or the Eartho? Or perhaps the Mondo?
              It will be the Deutsche Mark, only with the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the greatest sovereign Germany has ever had.
              <Insert idea here> will never be adopted because the politicians are in the pockets of the banks!

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 10 June 2022, 16:08.

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 10 June 2022, 16:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                    There is a reason why Jesus threw the money-lenders out of the temple. He also saved an alleged prostitute from stoning. Top bloke he was!!
                    He said "Let he who hath not sinned cast the first stone" And a woman stepped from the crowd and hurled a stone at the brass. And Jesus said "Mother please go home."

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
                      There is a reason why Jesus threw the money-lenders out of the temple. He also saved an alleged prostitute from stoning. Top bloke he was!!
                      Okay, I can believe that the Earth was created 4000 years or so ago in 6 days, but I'm having trouble believing he could throw out money lenders without some serious backup.

Comment

Working...
                      X