• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disabled facilities

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's to do with the amount of time you might use the facility.
    Using the disabled loo, you are probably only in there a minute or two. You went in that dunny cause there was nobody in the queue before you. Therefore, if a disabled person came to use the dunny just after you went in, the most they would wait is 2 mins, which is OK

Parking is on a different scale. Typically you might park for at least an hour. It is quite feasible that whilst you are parked where you shouldn't and are wandering round the shops, the other disabled bays get used up, then someone else who genuinely needs the bay you are in comes along and cant park.
    Thats a big no no in my mind and you would quite rightly deserve the parking penalty you will recieve.

(If you are using the disabled dunny for hours on end (and thus negating my argument above), you've probably got a severe bowel problem anyway and could probably qualify for a disabled badge/status of your own !)

Comment

I look disabled so park where the feck I like.

HTH

Comment

The real question about disabled loos though is this:
        If the general concensous is that it's OK to use it if the regular loo has a queue and the disabled one does not; is it OK to form a second queue of (able bodied) people outside the disabled loo ?
        If there are 2 queues, 10 people long, is it OK for the disabled to jump the queue to use the dunny ?

Comment

I think it's to do with the amount of time you might use the facility.
          Have to agree with that, I only use the disabled parking if it's just a quick nip in to a shop to get a pie and only if the spaces are mostly empty. If I'm going to be wherever any longer than a couple of minutes I wouldn't, that wouldn't fit my notions of fairness, and I'd park across two normal spaces.

There again, I don't go in for the rushing about thing any longer, so the point is moot, as I'd be quite happy to stroll leisurely from the far side of the car park nowadays.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

What about the parking spaces reserved for people with children that you find in supermarkets et al? I used one of those at Sainsbury's once only to find a clamp and fine threat on my windscreen.

Why do people with kids need a special parking space? When those spaces are full they park in the normal spaces anyway without any trouble.

Grrrrrr...

Comment

Originally posted by Jakes Daddy
              Parking is on a different scale. Typically you might park for at least an hour. It is quite feasible that whilst you are parked where you shouldn't and are wandering round the shops, the other disabled bays get used up, then someone else who genuinely needs the bay you are in comes along and cant park.
              Thats a big no no in my mind and you would quite rightly deserve the parking penalty you will recieve.
              Why? Why do they get to park when you don't? Of course using a Disabled bay when there are others free is wrong. But why should you not park at all, on the off-chance that a few disabled people might come along and if they do, it is you who should go without the chance of parking, rather than them?

In short, if disabled facilities are there to give the disabled an equal opportunity, then let them have that: if ALL the spaces are taken when they get there, they can't park.

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto
                What about the parking spaces reserved for people with children that you find in supermarkets et al? I used one of those at Sainsbury's once only to find a clamp and fine threat on my windscreen.

Why do people with kids need a special parking space? When those spaces are full they park in the normal spaces anyway without any trouble.

Grrrrrr...
                Good point, IIRC I did once borrow one of my children just so I could park in the child spaces, as they were wider. I later came to regret this course of action when presented with why the supermarkets have such spaces: lots of sweets by the checkouts. I wanted the Mars Bars, they wanted the Bounties, and when I got home they knicked off with the lot, and the pop too.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

"Again I would say the ratio of spaces to those that actually need them is wrong and local councils issue a lot of disabled stickers to those that don't need them. I would avoid as much as possible parking in one and certainly would not park in the last space but if I was going to be quick then a different story. Privateeye has done some work to prove certain scroungers are not disabled for insurance co's and benefits agency"

Not at my local tescos. More often than not the disabled spots are full. We have a badge to park there but often choose not to because it isn't really that much of a chore walking over the car park. Personally I feel that the disabled spaces should really be only for those who need wheelchair access, hence their larger size.

Personally I never park in the disabled bays, unless my son is with me and only if there are a couple free. If he is with me and only one is free then I leave it for somebody more deserving. I will never park in the bays if we don't have our badge.

The way I look at it, I'm not lazy enough to feel the need to park right outside the shop. I do not feel that it is too much hassle to walk from the car park to the shop, given that the furthest away space cannot be more than 100m away from the shop door. Where I live we have one of those sites on the outskirts of town with a cinema, bowling alley pizza hut etc stuck on it. Outside the big fitness first are a small number of disabled spaces. More often than not people park in these spots and then go in the gym to do a git of exercise. Surely if they parked a little further away then they would not have to spend quite so much time on the machines courtesy of the slightly longer walk between the gym and the car.

Same goes for the disabled loos.

Councils do issue too many disabled badges though. Apparantly you can get one if you kid has astmha these days.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Pinto

Grrrrrr...
                    And what about the Women-only parking spaces in Germany? If my girlfriend's driving can we park there? Or do I have to get out first? And then if she parks there does that mean that I can't go back on my own to pick up the car?

I can see asensible answer to that, but I can also imagine a senseless answer, and people with the authority to enforce that.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
                      And what about the Women-only parking spaces in Germany? If my girlfriend's driving can we park there? Or do I have to get out first? And then if she parks there does that mean that I can't go back on my own to pick up the car?

I can see asensible answer to that, but I can also imagine a senseless answer, and people with the authority to enforce that.
                      there are women-only parking spaces in Germany?!

will wonders never cease
                      "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Working...
                      X